This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2005 1:21 PM by 464229 RSS

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)

464229 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Someone at Oracle,

I posted information with the link to the Oracle 10g Express Edition on the Borland Delphi New Zealand Users Group today, and this intersting discussion below (or an excerpt of it took place).

Would you be able to respond to the Delphi Users Group memebers or here please as the issues raised do seem valid.

Looking forward to your reply,
Paul A Norman
-------------------------
Paul Heinz to NZ
More options 15:14 (3 hours ago)

"Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer. Oracle Database XE is a great starter database for:
Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and Open Source applications
DBAs who need a free, starter database for training and deployment
Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and hardware vendors who want a starter database to distribute free of charge
Educational institutions and students who need a free database for their curriculum
"With Oracle Database XE, currently available as a Beta release for Windows and Linux, you can now develop and deploy applications with a powerful, proven, industry-leading infrastructure, and then upgrade when necessary without costly and complex migrations. A production release is scheduled for late 2005.
"Oracle Database XE can be installed on any size host machine with any number of CPUs, but this free version of the world's leading database will store up to 4GB of user data, use up to 1GB of memory, and use one CPU on the host machine.
Ah, yes. But do read the fine print i.e. the license agreement,

BETA TRIAL LICENSE: Oracle Corporation ("Oracle") grants to you a no-charge trial license to use the pre-production beta version of the Oracle Database Express Edition software, documentation and product training (the "Software") provided to you by Oracle solely for evaluation purposes until January 31, 2006. Either party may terminate the license for the Software at any time. Upon termination, you shall cease using the Software. You will ensure that all your personnel who may access and/or use the Software during the trial period specified above will comply with the terms of this agreement. You also agree that your organization will be responsible for any breach of the terms of this agreement by all personnel who may access and/or use the Software. Any feedback or other information you provide Oracle relating to the Software shall be received and treated by Oracle on a non-confidential and unrestricted basis ("Feedback"), and Oracle shall have a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, and irrevocable right to use Feedback for any purpose, including but not limited to, incorporation of such Feedback into the Software or other software products. You may not use the Software for any commercial or production purpose. You shall not: (a) remove any product identification, copyright notices, or other notices or proprietary restrictions from the Software; (b) use the Software for commercial timesharing, rental, or service bureau use; (c) cause or permit reverse engineering, disassembly, or decompilation of the Software; (d) disclose results of any benchmark tests of any Software to any third party without Oracle's prior written approval; (e) duplicate and/or install the Software other than as permitted under this agreement; or (f) assign or purport to assign the rights or obligations under this agreement. All dates provided during the pre-production beta trial period are subject to change. During the pre-production beta trial period, you are licensed to use all features of the Software under the terms of this agreement. Unless otherwise provided as an update to customers in accordance with Oracle's technical support services, if and when the Software is released in production, you may acquire licenses for the production version of the Software in accordance with Oracle's then standard licensing and pricing terms and conditions (which, at Oracle's sole discretion, may allow license of only some rather than all of the features of the Software).

Now, this license will likely change when the final XE product ships but this is Oracle we are talking about here, and it will always be free-as-in-beer (and only as far as Oracle likes it), not free-as-in-speech.

This is aimed directly at MS SQL Server Express Edition and MySQL et al. and is Oracle playing for time trying to slow down the commoditisation of the database market whilst it attempts to transition to being an Applications provider (i.e. Oracle Financials + PeopleSoft + JD Edwards + Siebel + Retek = 'It's the apps, stupid!")

TTFN,
Paul.

Richard Vowles NZ
More options 16:56 (1½ hours ago)

Now that was worth knowing.

---
Richard Vowles, Solutions Architect, Borland New Zealand

Paul A Norman to NZ
More options 18:29 (2 minutes ago)

From the associated offical FAQ, this information needs to be reconciled to the above license details, I think Oracle would have a hard time of it in an American Court:

Who should use Oracle Database XE?

Oracle Database XE is the perfect choice for many different groups, including:

• Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and other applications that require a database
• DBAs who need a free starter database for training and deployment
• Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who want to embed an Oracle database in their application or product to extend customer value at no additional cost
• Educational institutions and students who need a free starter database for their curriculum.

Can I use Oracle Database XE for free development?

Yes. There are no database license costs associated with developing applications for Oracle Database XE which offers the complete integrated set of Oracle Database programming interfaces including:

• SQL, PL/SQL
• Java, C, and PHP
• Windows .Net
• Oracle HTML DB
• C++, ODBC, OLE DB

Can I use Oracle Database XE for free deployment?

Oracle Database XE is free for runtime usage with the following limitations:

• Supports up to 4GB of user data (in addition to Oracle system data)
• Single instance only of Oracle Database XE on any server
• Only uses and executes on one processor in any server
• Can use up to 1GB RAM
  • 1. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    457793 Newbie
    If you have an OPN account you can go to URL

http://www.oracle.com/partners/develop/product/global/xe.html

and public docs:

http://www.oracle.com/pls/xe102/homepage

The download is about 155Mb, so it's probably missing some functionality from Std One. Doesn't seem to have EM in it

quote [
    Available on 32-bit Linux and Windows
    • Installs using native installers
    • English (single byte character set) and International (Unicode) versions available with support for 10 major languages
    • Supports up to 4GB of user data
    • Utilizes a single CPU on multi-processor or multi-core machines
    • Can use up to 1GB RAM (single instance only)
    • Fully upgradeable to other Oracle Database 10g editions
    • Oracle Text for efficient text-based searches
    ] end quote
  • 2. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    445942 Newbie
    Anybody know if Intermedia is a part of XE? I did not find any information so far.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    JensPetersen Oracle ACE
    There is a dedicated forum for questions related to XE
    Oracle Database Express Edition (XE)

You need first to register for this forum here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/xe/registration
  • 4. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    445942 Newbie
    I knew that there is a forum dedicated for XE, point was that I did not wanted to download it just to register for the forum.

With your registration link provided I could finally register without downloading. Thank you.
  • 5. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    464229 Newbie
    The small print license denys the FAQ statements, what does Oracle think about that please? Are we reading it wrongly is there a mistake?
  • 6. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    464229 Newbie
    I can not sign up for the dedicated forum as there is a compulsory question I can not answer as until the license inconsistencie questions are answered I may not downloaded the software.

the question I can not answer is:

Please let us know how you obtained the Oracle XE software: *
    Partner CD/DVD OTN download
    OPN download Novell download
    Red Hat download Oracle CD/DVD
  • 7. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    APC Oracle ACE
    Paul

The formatting of your original post makes it hard for me to figure out what your beef is. Please clarify what you are unhappy about so we cand address your specific point.

Cheers, APC
  • 8. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    464229 Newbie
    Dear APC,

Some learned people have pointed out that there are major inconsistencies between the FAQ for the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition on the download site and the actual small print of the required license agreement.

As it is so impotant I can only invite you to re read my post or look though the FAQ and License agreement with the fresh eyes of a person not in the Oracle corporate climate.

It would be much appreciated as the very kinds of developers Oracle is hoping to attract are being out off by these inconsistenceis at present.

So I am sure that Oracle would find it beneficial to resolve these differences.

They are rather obvious in my and many other people's opinions.

Paul
  • 9. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    APC Oracle ACE
    Okay let's play a guessing game. I am guessing that you are bothered by the contradiction between Oracle stating 10XE is free to download/free to develop/free to distribute and the beta licence terms stating that we cannot distribute it. Fine. If that bothers you, don't download the database. Wait until it goes into production with a new licence.

But I still don't see what your actual beef is. It's not at all unusual for products in Beta to have restrictive licences. Oracle wants to iron out the bugs, particularly in the install process, before they go live. Given the number of people (myself included) who are having problems installing XE on their machines, this is a wise move. If you were an ISV you wouldn't want to build an application on a product that some of your customers won't be able to install.

Your underlying fear seems to be that at some point Oracle is going to revoke some or all of the free clauses. But it would not make sense for Oracle to so. It has had to face up to the realities of the market in 2005, and the reality is people like free as a price. They will pay for scale, resilience, etc when they need them but resent paying for these ilities when they don't need them. XE is Oracle's attempt to win mindshare at the expense of MySQL and MSSQL, products that do very well at the low rent end of the market. Microsoft in particularly has proven adept at turning mindshare into licences and Oracle wants some of that action too.

I've downloaded XE. Sure, why not? Of course, I'm not an ISV so the redistributive aspects don't matter to me. What matters to me is that at the moment I cannot install 10XE on my work machine (although I can install it at home). My participation in the XE Beta project is quite naked: I don't need 10XE at the moment but if I ever do need it I want to know that it will build on my work laptop without a lot of pfaffing about. I am confident that once XE goes live Oracle will not renege on the free bits because it does not make commercial sense for them to do so.

Is that the question you wanted answering? If not I'm afraid you'll have to spell it out.

Cheers, APC
  • 10. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    464229 Newbie
    Dear APC thank you for your comments,

I think the exception is being taken by people reading this phrasing in the license:

"You may not use the Software for any commercial or production purpose. "

Instead of it being written (as other software houses do) :--

"You may not use the BETA Software for any commercial or production
    purpose. "

The difference in Oracle choosing the first course of action does not escape people in today' world. If it were an oversight, might they want to correct it?

And then in the FAQ

"Who should use Oracle Database XE? . . .

• Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who want to embed an Oracle
    database in their application or product to extend customer value at no
    additional cost

Indeed the two do not match up in a major way.

Paul

[
    FAQ Section's full text ...

"Who should use Oracle Database XE?

Oracle Database XE is the perfect choice for many different groups, including:

• Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and other applications that require a
    database
    • DBAs who need a free starter database for training and deployment
    • Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who want to embed an Oracle
    database in their application or product to extend customer value at no
    additional cost
    • Educational institutions and students who need a free starter database for
    their curriculum.
    "
    ]
  • 11. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    Intermedia is not but Oracle Text is in.

XE does not include the Java VM and therefore can not support all of intermedia. However, CLOB, BLOB and BFILE capability is there.

Oracle is working on a definitive 'feature differences between XE and SE(1)' list.
  • 12. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    Oracle's intent seems to be ...

for now, and until XE is released (hopefully before end of calendar year), they do NOT want anyone using it in production.

however, they want people to understand that once released, it will be available free of charge (and supported only on the XE forum) in a commercial and even embedded environment, subject ot the feature and size limitations.

I will pass on the comments to the Oracle people in the XE forum. For those who are concerned, I suggest that even the FAQ is currently in beta.
  • 13. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    241066 Newbie
    Paul - the software is free.

You are referring to a phrase in the beta license.

It is quite clearly in the beta license. As such, the phrase "You may not use the Software for any commercial or production purpose." specifically covers the beta software. It is in every beta software agreement that Oracle has ever done.

This phrase will NOT be in the production software. The production software will be free to download, develop against, deploy, and distribute. Why would we do a free version of the product that isn't, um, free.
  • 14. Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE)
    464229 Newbie
    Dear Mtownsen,

Thank you for the clear reply it is much appreciated.

What you may not appreciate is that you are trying to attract developers who have not been with Oracle up until now, but who as developers have had certain kinds of experiences (or watched it happen to others) with one or more very large mega corporations-who have done to people exactly what is being canvased here.

Hence the caution.

If you can understand that, you will appreciatre the sensativity of people (as on other news groups) who have gone through the licenses with fine tooth combs!

Thanks again.

Paul