1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2006 6:05 PM by 475982 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
        tkyte-Oracle
        sounds like the service is running, but the database is not up.

first:

c:\> sqlplus / as sysdba
        startup force

does that return anything "useful"?

next, what is at the bottom of the alert log if that doesn't return anything useful?
        • 16. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
          The database service is started, however the database itself is not started.

As the user that installed the database, launch the SQL Command line.
          at the SQL> prompt, type

connect / as sysdba;

If you get a message 'Connected to an idle instance', type
          startup;
          Report any error messages

If you get a message 'Connected', the database is started. Test that it is open. Type
          select count(*) from hr.employees;
          • 17. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
            C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN>sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Beta on Mon Dec 5 16:01:23 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup force
            ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist
            SQL>
            • 18. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
              tkyte-Oracle
              alert log says?

other versions of Oracle installed on this machine?
              • 19. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                I found the alert_xe.log file. It has 122 lines in it. Do you want the whole thing?
                At one time I had tried, but failed, to install 10g. I could never connect to it. After I tried to uninstall it there were some services still defined for it. I had already gone through the registry and removed everything I could find referring to it.
                • 20. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                  Actually, there were two alert_XE.log files. The first one seems to have been created at installation. I deleted the contents and tried again and it remained empty. The other one appeared to have the most current timestamp and contained this:
                  Dump file c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\rdbms\trace\alert_xe.log
                  Mon Dec 05 16:01:35 2005
                  ORACLE V10.2.0.1.0 - Beta vsnsta=1
                  vsnsql=14 vsnxtr=3
                  Windows XP Version V5.1 Service Pack 2
                  CPU : 1 - type 586
                  Process Affinity : 0x00000000
                  Memory (Avail/Total): Ph:563M/1021M, Ph+PgF:1356M/1694M, VA:1934M/2047M
                  Mon Dec 05 16:01:35 2005
                  Shutting down instance (abort)
                  • 21. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                    tkyte-Oracle
                    the one that was deleted by you probably had the useful information.

would you be willing to uninstall and reinstall - and preserve the alert log from the created database. this is sounding like there are bits of 10g there (incompatible bits of sqlplus - the hostdef issue)

can you make sure that the old 10g install you tried to install before didn't leave any bits of itself behind on your file system? check your path as well to see if it references this old install.
                    • 22. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                      I will uninstall, search for and remove any directories, path, and registry entries, then reinstall and see what happens.
                      • 23. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                        I uninstalled. I went through the registry and deleted what I could. I rebooted and saw there were no Oracle services defined in the Services applet. I deleted the c:\Oracle directory, even though it just held my collection of documentation downloads. I found a few references to C:\Oracle\... in my path, so I took them out. Then I rebooted and reinstalled. I did see the "Installation Complete" dialog so I clicked on the option to be taken to the new home page. However, I received the familiar error that 127.0.0.1:8080 was not available.

This is the contents of alert_xe.log.
                        Dump file c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\admin\xe\bdump\alert_xe.log
                        Tue Dec 06 16:56:14 2005
                        ORACLE V10.2.0.1.0 - Beta vsnsta=1
                        vsnsql=14 vsnxtr=3
                        Windows XP Version V5.1 Service Pack 2
                        CPU : 1 - type 586
                        Process Affinity : 0x00000000
                        Memory (Avail/Total): Ph:384M/1021M, Ph+PgF:1325M/1694M, VA:1935M/2047M
                        Tue Dec 06 16:56:14 2005
                        Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
                        LICENSE_MAX_SESSION = 0
                        LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING = 0
                        Shared memory segment for instance monitoring created
                        Picked latch-free SCN scheme 2
                        Using LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 parameter default value as C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\RDBMS
                        Autotune of undo retention is turned on.
                        IMODE=BR
                        ILAT =10
                        LICENSE_MAX_USERS = 0
                        SYS auditing is disabled
                        ksdpec: called for event 13740 prior to event group initialization
                        Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 10.2.0.1.0.
                        System parameters with non-default values:
                        sessions = 49
                        sga_target = 285212672
                        control_files = C:\ORACLEXE\ORADATA\XE\CONTROL.DBF
                        compatible = 10.2.0.1.0
                        undo_management = AUTO
                        undo_tablespace = UNDO
                        remote_login_passwordfile= EXCLUSIVE
                        dispatchers = (PROTOCOL=TCP) (SERVICE=XEXDB)
                        shared_servers = 4
                        local_listener = (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SANRO04.ca.com)(PORT=1521))
                        job_queue_processes = 4
                        audit_file_dest = C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\ADMIN\XE\ADUMP
                        background_dump_dest = C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\ADMIN\XE\BDUMP
                        user_dump_dest = C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\ADMIN\XE\UDUMP
                        core_dump_dest = C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\ADMIN\XE\CDUMP
                        db_name = XE
                        open_cursors = 300
                        pga_aggregate_target = 94371840
                        PMON started with pid=2, OS id=3048
                        MMAN started with pid=4, OS id=3056
                        DBW0 started with pid=5, OS id=3052
                        LGWR started with pid=6, OS id=3064
                        CKPT started with pid=7, OS id=3060
                        SMON started with pid=8, OS id=3076
                        RECO started with pid=9, OS id=3000
                        CJQ0 started with pid=10, OS id=3080
                        MMON started with pid=11, OS id=3108
                        Tue Dec 06 16:56:20 2005
                        starting up 1 dispatcher(s) for network address '(ADDRESS=(PARTIAL=YES)(PROTOCOL=TCP))'...
                        Tue Dec 06 16:56:20 2005
                        starting up 4 shared server(s) ...
                        Oracle Data Guard is not available in this edition of Oracle.
                        PSP0 started with pid=3, OS id=3044
                        MMNL started with pid=12, OS id=3104
                        • 24. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                          Actually, things seem much better. I can bring up SQL*Plus and perform connect / as sysdba and get back the response "Connected." Then I typed in select count(*) from employee and got back the response "2". So the database seems to be up and running.
                          So I just have the one problem, which is the same as the one starting this thread. When I attempt to use the link Go To Database Home Page, explorer shows the message "The page cannot be displayed". I cannot see any listener on port 8080.
                          • 25. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                            Oops, my mistake. I'm new to the DOS-based SQL editor, having only used the Java one in the past. So I forgot about putting semicolons. When I typed the SQL requested in another thread (shown here) I did not have the semicolon and got irrelevant results.

"If you get a message 'Connected', the database is started. Test that it is open. Type
                            select count(*) from hr.employees;
                            "

These are the messages I received after typing the correct command.
                            SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Beta on Tue Dec 6 17:41:23 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba;
                            Connected.
                            SQL> select count(*) from hr.employees;
                            select count(*) from hr.employees
                            ERROR at line 1:
                            ORA-01219: database not open: queries allowed on fixed tables/views only

Unfortunately, I do not know what to do next. Thank you in advance for your help.
                            • 26. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                              While connected as sysdba (connect / as sysdba), try
                              alter database open;

If you get a message about the database not being mounted yet, type
                              alter database mount;

followed by

alter database open;

Report any error messages.

At this stage I am pretty sure your Oracle environment is screwed, we are just trying to see how screwed up, and what the fastest way to mitigate it is.
                              • 27. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                                Earl Lewis
                                Ron,

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?

Earl
                                • 28. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                                  No. At the moment I do not have Oracle installed on either of my machines. I uninstalled the full Oracle from my laptop because tempdb was using up 4GB and I could not figure out any other way to get the space back. And I have not had a chance to spend any more time on my desktop, which this thread refers to. So at the moment I cannot run at all. Eventually I have get past this because my product includes Oracle support and testing with Oracle is essential. But at the moment I have been busy with other matters and have had to work around the inability to run Oracle.
                                  • 29. Re: Connection refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080
                                    mdrake-Oracle
                                    WRT to the temp problem the quick'n'dirty soln is to add a new data file to temp and then drop the old one

Eg
                                    alter tablespace temp add tempfile 'temp02.dbf' size 512M;

Tablespace altered.

SQL> select * from v_$tempfile
                                      2  /
                                             1           535239 31-DEC-05          3          1 ONLINE  READ WRITE  255852544      31232     20971520       8192
                                    C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\ORADATA\ORA10GR2\TEMP01.DBF

2          4077562 24-JAN-06          3          2 ONLINE  READ WRITE  536870912      65536    536870912       8192
                                    C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\DB_1\DATABASE\TEMP02.DBF

2 rows selected.
                                    SQL> alter tablespace temp drop tempfile 'C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\ORADATA\ORA10GR2\TEMP01.DBF'
                                      2  /

Tablespace altered.

SQL>
                                    I realize the horse has bolted at this point..