3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2005 7:31 PM by smccull

ORA-03113 error when running the Java stored proc demos

Hi there,

Has anyone else run into this issue. When attempting to transfer an object type from Java to Oracle - through a Java stored proc - the session crashes with:
      ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
      Looking in the trace file generated the error message looks something like:
      ksedmp: internal or fatal error
      ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [0x8fe04468] [SIGTRAP] [unknown code] [0x8FE59034] [] []
      Current SQL statement for this session:
      select pointruntime.jdistance(point(1, 2), point(2, 3)) from dual
      ----- Call Stack Trace -----
      calling              call     entry                argument values in hex     
      location             type     point                (? means dubious value)    
      -------------------- -------- -------------------- ----------------------------
      ksedmp+764           call     ksedst               0 ? 2C4F4A ? 2C ? 98968000 ?
                                                         DB02C ? 27A50000 ?
      ssexhd+956           call     ksedmp               3 ? 0 ? 8FE5E790 ? 5905870 ?
                                                         8FE0434C ? 40895E4 ?
      0x9012c860           call     ssexhd               5 ? BFFEEF70 ? BFFEEFB0 ? 0 ?
                                                         0 ? 0 ?
      As you can see from the trace snippet above, I was attempting to run one of the Oracle Java stored procedure demos. Has anyone successfully run those demos? Specifically the ones where complex types (table objects or the Point object) are passed back to Oracle from the JVM.

I would appreciate some help with this. The code works fine in a Windows or Solaris environment but barfs on Apple. Truly annoying....

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
        • 1. Re: ORA-03113 error when running the Java stored proc demos
          smccull
          (Be sure to include versions of relevant components, e.g. OS, Java, DB, etc.)

I haven't worked with object types, but have seen the 03113/07445 combination with java stored procs in at least one other occasion, but I don't believe that would apply here (the developer was using an older procedure call that couldn't handle LOBs larger then 4K).

But some things you may wish to check out/try:
          1. Be sure your using the proper version of java (possibly 1.4.2).
          2. Make sure the database has enough memory assigned to java_pool_size (>= 20M).
          3. Be sure JVM is installed properly. (Reinstalling wouldn't hurt, I've had to reinstall various system packages on occasion to ge them working correctly. This will ensure not only that everything is installed, but permissions are correct.) The Java Developer's Guide should explain how to do this. However, in a nutshell:
          remove:
          SQLPLUS> @$ORACLE_HOME/javavm/install/rmjvm
          install:
          SQLPLUS> @$ORACLE_HOME/javavm/install/initjvm

Just places to start....

Steve
          • 2. Re: ORA-03113 error when running the Java stored proc demos
            Yes,

Apologies for not stating that information, Steve. Was a bit naughty of me! I guess the reason I didn't was because I just wanted to hear if anyone else running Oracle on Mac received such errors when executing the Java stored proc demos (specifically, the execution of PointRuntime.jDistance). Nevertheless, here's the relevant info from the trace file:
            Dump file /Users/oracle/admin/sandbox/udump/sandbox_ora_1861.trc
            Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
            With the Partitioning, Oracle Label Security, OLAP and Data Mining Scoring Engine options
            ORACLE_HOME = /Users/oracle/product/10.1.0/db
            System name:     Darwin
            Node name:     maczilla.local
            Release:     8.3.0
            Version:     Darwin Kernel Version 8.3.0: Mon Oct  3 20:04:04 PDT 2005; root:xnu-792.6.22.obj~2/RELEASE_PPC
            Machine:     Power Macintosh
            Instance name: sandbox
            Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1
            Oracle process number: 10
            Unix process pid: 1861, image: oraclesandbox@maczilla.local
            As for the Java version, according to the readme file in the javavm directory, I am running 1.4.1:
            1.5  Java Compatibility
            -----------------------
            This release has been thoroughly tested with Sun's Java Compatibility
            Kit for the JDK 1.4.1. Oracle is committed to OracleJVM keeping pace
            with Java and other Internet standards.
            • 3. Re: ORA-03113 error when running the Java stored proc demos
              smccull
              I know there are not as many version options for OS X as for AIX, but sometimes it can make a difference.

Anyway, I still suggest reinstalling Java in the db.

Steve

Message was edited by:
              smccull