13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 12:14 PM by 577396

Reverse engineer with Visio

I am using Visio Enterprise Architects SP-2 10.0.5110 and I am trying to reverse engineer an Oracle 10G database using a 10G client. When the reverse engineering gets to the Extracting Oracle Object, type and body ‘XDB$Complex_derivation_t’. I get a message box that says “Encountered a fatal error during reverse engineer of information from the database!’ and nothing is extracted. It used to work on the 9i database. How can I make it work on 10G?
        • 1. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
          here is the link that explains how to establish connection between visio and oracle 10g for reverse engineering purpose I hope it will benifit you
          http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora10g/case02.shtml
          • 2. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
            APC
            I don't think this link is at all useful to the OP because it doesn't go into technical details which is what they want. However, it was helpful to be because I was wondering where the data modelling functions had gone; I now realise that my current machine only has Visio Standard on it and I need the Professional edition. sigh

Cheers, APC
            • 3. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
              APC
              Were you able to reverse engineer UDT definitions from Oracle 9i? Wow, I didn't realise Visio was that good.

Cheers, APC
              • 4. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                I have no problem reverse engineering the 9i boxes we have using the 9i client and Visio.
                • 5. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                  APC
                  Hi, did you ever solve your problem?

I have just attempted to reverse engineer a 10g XE database into Visio and got the same (or v similar) error. This leads me to think this is a generic configuration issue.

Which driver were you using? I'm going to abandon the MS for Oracle driver and try again with the latest Oracle provided 10g driver.

Cheers, APC
                  • 6. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                    I ran several different tests:
                    1) Set Visio Driver to Oracle Server, The Oracle 9i client and Visio Professions 2003 SP 2 ( 11.5509.6568) and an Oracle 9i database – I was able to reverse engineer Tables (primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, triggers, check clauses), views, and stored procedures. I was able to view field and table comments and triggers.

2) Set Visio Driver to Oracle Server, the Oracle 10G client and Visio Professions 2003 SP 2 ( 11.5509.6568) and an Oracle 9i database – I was able to reverse engineer Tables (primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, triggers, check clauses), views, and stored procedures.

3) Set Visio Driver to Oracle Server, the Oracle 9i client and Visio Enterprise Architects SP2 (10.0.5110) and an Oracle 9i database – I was able to reverse engineer Tables (primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, triggers, check clauses), views, and stored procedures.

4) Set Visio Driver to Oracle Server, the Oracle 10G client and Visio Enterprise Architects SP2 (10.0.5110) and an Oracle 9i database – I was able to reverse engineer Tables (primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, triggers, check clauses), views, and stored procedures.

5) Set Visio Driver to Oracle Server, the Oracle 10G client and Visio Professions 2003 SP 2 ( 11.5509.6568) and an Oracle 10G database – The application stops at Extracting Oracle Object type and body ‘XDB$Complex_derivation_T’ and gives the message box ‘Encountered a fatal error during reverse engineer of information from the database!’

6) Set Visio Driver to Microsoft Access, the Oracle 10G client and Visio Enterprise Architects SP2 (10.0.5110) and an Oracle 10G database – The application will only extract tables (primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, & check clauses) and views and gives the error ‘Data Source Client Error: State:S1010,Native:0 origin:[Mircorosft][ODBC Driver Manager] Function Sequence error’

7) Set Visio Driver to ODBC Generic Driver, the Oracle 10G client and Visio Enterprise Architects SP2 (10.0.5110) and an Oracle 10G database – The application will only extract tables (primary keys, indexes, & foreign keys)

So it seems that there is a conversation problem with Oracle 10G database and Visio does anyone have a fix?

I have found Visio to a be a wonderful tool to forward and reverse engineer with 9i but now it looks like I need to find another tool ASAP.
                    • 7. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                      user457357
                      Try using the generic odbc driver. It seems to work for me when i select that. The other dirver gives me the fatal error that you were getting.
                      • 8. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                        I had this same problem. My version of Visio was the original, out-of-the-box version before applying any service packs. At the recommendation of our tech support group, my version of Visio was upgraded to SP3. That solved the reverse engineering problem using the ORACLE Server driver.
                        • 9. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                          I had the same issue (failing at "Extracting Oracle object type and body 'XDB$COMPLEX_DERIVATION_T'").
                          I managed to bypass it by using "ODBC Generic Driver" with a "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" system DSN.

Hope it helps.
                          • 10. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                            The Final Word (maybe).

There was an excellent set of tests earlier and they were, of course, correct.

The critical question is: Do you want "tables" or "views". You can get the tables as described but not the views (as described and in my experience).

I just downloaded a trial version of Visio 2007, no patches, connected with an Oracle 10g client to an Oracle 10g database (10.2.0.3), and did a reverse engineer on "views" and it worked successfully. I watched as it went past the XDB with no problems, I have the views in Visio and was able to use it. I noted that there is a "Save As" Visio 2002 but have not tried that yet.

So, while you would have to upgrade, my test was successful.

fyi

sf
                            • 11. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                              I have no problem reverse engineering using Visio Professions 2003 SP 2 with Oracle Server Driver to 10g database.
                              Here's OP another post on other forums. It's over two years old post without response, so I assume this is a non issue for OP.

http://www.mcse.ms/message1960580.html
                              • 12. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                                Using Visio 2003 Prof with a 9 client connecting to a 9 database, I got the fatal error using the Oracle driver in Visio. I tried the ODBC driver and it works no problem.

Thanks for the tip.
                                • 13. Re: Reverse engineer with Visio
                                  Hi kianaz

Greetings!!

I have no idea what is Visio Enterprise Architects SP-2 10.0.5110 and reverse engineering and I am interested to know what it is?
                                  Could you please throw some light on the basic stuff.

Rgds