I have same problem. I created path C:\Oracle\instantclient_10_2 inside of it are following files:
But when I run odbc_install.exe message Could't find Oracle Instant Client in present directory.is displayed.
Note: I am working with Windows XP, regional setting English EEUU.
If you know how to solve this error please let me know.
There's probably a bug in the odbc_install.exe install script.
In fact it doesn't recognize the 'lite' library oraociicus10.dll as a valid Instant Client installation.
That's what I've done to perform a 'lite' instant client installation working with ODBC:
- full instant client installation (extracted all files including the missing MFC71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL files in the instantclient directory (e.g. c:\oracle\instantclient)
- extracted ODBC Instant Client package in the same directory
- included the instantclient directory path in the PATH environment variable
- added TNS_ADMIN key in registry HLM\software\oracle (it's the path where locating tnsnames.ora, in my example c:\oracle\config)
- copied a working tnsnames.ora in the above directory
- launched odbc_install.exe with no problems
- created a DNS with the odbc 'Oracle in instantclient10_2' driver and verified the connection
Now the problem was that this oracle directory was about 95Mb. So I extracted the 'lite' library oraociicus10.dll (about 18Mb) from the Basic Lite Package, I copied it in the instantclient directory and I deleted the oraociei10.dll (89Mb) 'full' library
Now the directory is about 25Mb.
..and it seems to work!
This is a bug with odbc_install script. For this bug has been filed against ODBC Instant Client Lite version.
Work around is, create a dummy(may be zero byte) file with name oraociei10.dll in same directory then run the installer script. Please delete the created dummy file i.e oraociei10.dll once odbc_install is done.
looks like failing to cleanup the registry entries. had similar issue on XP, it worked fine after deleting the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI\\Oracle in instantclient10_2 for 10.2 Oracle driver.
You might want to try the same, but to be safer side please make sure that you take the registry backup before deleting it!!
When installing on Vista, be sure to run the command prompt window as an administrator. Otherwise the process cannot add values to the registry. To do this, type cmd in the Search Programs, right-click the program and select Run As Administrator.
"Run as administrator" of cmd.exe is the key point to solve the issues, also on windows7, "Oracle ODBC Driver with same name already exists." and "Some problem occured while deleting the registry key."
I still get the error "Oracle ODBC Driver with same name already exists" even after running cmd.exe as administrator. Windows Server 2008, 64-bit. I think I'm just going to give up and install the full client, because I'm having no luck with the instant client.