7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2008 3:22 PM by 629932 RSS

Trouble starting listener

Hi, i have an script to start LISTENER and DATABASE, when i run, he give the following:

Starting Oracle:
      LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on 12-DEC-2005 16:49:00

Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-12545: Message 12545 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      TNS-00515: Message 515 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Dec 12 16:49:01 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
      SQL> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 370218244 bytes
      Fixed Size 451844 bytes
      Variable Size 150994944 bytes
      Database Buffers 218103808 bytes
      Redo Buffers 667648 bytes
      Database mounted.
      Database opened.
      SQL> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
      With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
      JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

Database "WINT" warm started.
      OK

The database started normally, but the error message:

Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-12545: Message 12545 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      TNS-00515: Message 515 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

I checked the forum and follow the instructions about check the ORACLE_HOME and SID variables, but both are ok!

what's wrong?
      sorry for my english, i'm brazilian!
        • 1. Re: Trouble starting listener
          stevencallan
          Do you have another Oracle product installed? If so, is its path before the RDBMS's path?
          • 2. Re: Trouble starting listener
            No, i have only Database, when i installed the product i choosed the Enterprise Manager (2.84GB) Option...

my variables are:

root@server:~# set |grep ORACLE
            ORACLE_BASE=/oracle/base
            ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/base/product/9.2.0
            ORACLE_SID=WINT
            ORACLE_TERM=vt100
            root@server:~# set |grep PATH
            CLASSPATH=/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/jre:/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/jlib:/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/rdbms/jlib:/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/network/jlib
            CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib/qt/include
            LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
            MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/lib/java/man:/opt/kde/man:/usr/lib/qt/doc/man:/usr/share/texmf/man
            PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin:/oracle/base/product/9.2.0/bin

it's needed more thing?

Thank You...
            • 3. Re: Trouble starting listener
              Because of 'root@server', are you connected as 'root', when the script is started?
              • 4. Re: Trouble starting listener
                I am having the same problem. I am trying to start it using the oracle user (dba and oinstall groups). I have no clue how to solve this. Any ideas?
                • 5. Re: Trouble starting listener
                  Hans Forbrich
                  The messages about 'message not found' means that the program can not find the message files. But the message files are ALWAYS in files at $ORACLE_HOME/{component}/mesg/ and getting that message usually means one of the following conditions has occurred:

1) The ORACLE_HOME is not set correctly

- this often happens with scripts that are run using cron, at, the Oracle scheduler, or during system startup. We often set the ORACLE_HOME in the /etc/profile ... but that is not invoked by cron, etc. So we need to set the environment variables manually in our scripts.

2) The language setting is incorrect, or indicates a message language that is not loaded

3) The mesg directory or files have become corrupt

The easiest way to create a script, or have a decent startup, is to include the following lines in any shell script, and in the .bash_profile
                  export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin  # or wherever the oraenv script is stored ... this may not be needed
                  ORAENV_ASK=NO
                  export ORACLE_SID=orcl  # set this to the default SID to be used
                  . oraenv  # needs to be sources (dot space oraenv), not executed
                  ORAENV_ASK=
                  and before doing anything with a database or listener, you can always simply source oraenv and tell it which SID you want to use, as in
                  oracle@fuzzy:~> . oraenv
                  [orcl]? XE
                  oracle@fuzzy:!>
                  • 6. Re: Trouble starting listener
                    Hi ,
                    Possible reason is the corruption of mesg files which are located @
                    $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg
                    oraus.msg & oraus.msb
                    (sometimes the facility files too)
                    Eventhough the file size are the same like the working version it will not work
                    (usually after applying patch).

Just copy the executables from working version and it will work

Regards
                    Manoharan
                    • 7. Re: Trouble starting listener
                      Set the env variables or when you call the script write: su - oracle -c /path, the firsr - tell to the script the Oracle Env. Variables, try and teel me.