1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2006 10:38 PM by Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle RSS

CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS

Abhivyakti
      Hi,

I am trying to convert the normal text data to EBCDIC. As we all know, there is a corresponding value for each normal character in ASCII/HEX/BINARY/EBCDIC etc.

Using CONVERT I am able to see some data converted correctly but rest of hte accented characters not correctly.

select convert('^', 'US7ASCII','EBCDIC' ) from dual;
      select convert(';' ,'WE8EBCDIC500','US7ASCII') from dual;
      ^ = ascii normal txt
      ; = corresponding ebcdic of ^

Internally CONVERT function seems to be doing correct conversion but there is a problem wiht the actually new - to be replaced characters. SQLPLUS is not able to display all the characters correctly. For all the accented chars of "a", it shows plain english a, same wiht e , u etc.

I would like to know is there anyone who knows what client side settings need to be done so that the CONVERT function output is displayed correctly on SQLPLUS.

I am using Oracle 9i Rel 2
      NLS_LANG on my client (win XP) is set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

As seen in the CONVERT function, the correct charset is - 'WE8EBCDIC500'
      And the db params are as follows --

===========================================
      SQL> select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS;

PARAMETER VALUE
      ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
      NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
      NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA
      NLS_CURRENCY $
      NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA
      NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS .,
      NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1
      NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
      NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RR
      NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
      NLS_SORT BINARY
      NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM
      NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
      NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
      NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
      NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $
      NLS_COMP BINARY
      NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS BYTE
      NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP FALSE
      NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16
      NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 9.2.0.1.0
      ===================================================

Can anyone help me on this??

Thanks in advance

regards

Abhivyakti,
      Pune, India
        • 1. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
          Paul M.
          For all the accented chars of "a", it shows plain english a, same wiht e , u etc.
          I don't think it has anything to do with CONVERT, probably you have to set codepage and font. Try the following from a DOS window :

- set codepage to 1252 :
          C:\> chcp 1252

- set the font to "Lucida Console"

- set NLS_LANG (your setting is OK)

- launch sqlplus and try
          SQL> select chr(233) from dual;

C
          -
          é

SQL>                                   
          • 2. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
            Abhivyakti
            Hello Paul,

thanks for your reply. But I am still not able to get the correct display.

How will I find out which is that ansi code page that will work for me??

I have also visted the other post where u have replied to similar problem

Re: © symbol is becoming ? in my Web

I have had a look in the ACP section of windows registry and there i find this value 1252. After reading one of hte metalink notes, I understand that this is the windows character set that is not allowing hte display of the expected accented characters.

How do I set that for SQL PLUS directly - without coming to DOS??

Thanks for the help and the time you spent for this post.

Regards

Abhivyakti
            Pune, India
            • 3. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
              Paul M.
              [url http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a92157/ch3.htm#1006155]This link should help you.
              • 4. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                Abhivyakti,

Could you explain what you actually want Oracle to do. If I understand correctly you have a WE8ISO8859P1 database and a Windows client. Your accented data should show up perfectly well with standard NLS_LANG (=.WE8MSWIN1252) and Windows settings (ACP=1252). Why do you want to add conversion to EBCDIC?

-- Sergiusz
                • 5. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                  Abhivyakti
                  Hello Sergiusz

You understand correctly that i have oracle db with the said char set. But the requirement of the work is such that i have to transfer this data outside my system in the said format - that is EBCDIC. The other system has to read it .....in that format. I have no idea about things on other side. My work is only limited to get the data from the tables thru normal/formal cursors, Convert it to EBCDIC and then write it to file using UTL_FILE.

I understand by now, that I have to change some char set in my Registry(windows XP) - my pc connects to db on sun thru SQL PLUS (9i).

Just that I am not able to indentify which charset should i set in registry param NLS_LANG. Currently it is -> AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 and this char set does not show up some accented chars and some other chars as well.

I have a chart of characters that convey/show the each chars representation in diff system like ASCII, EBCDIC, Binary, HEX etc.

You can see that on the link
                  http://www.simotime.com/asc2ebc1.htm

Example 1
                  select convert('Ö', 'US7ASCII','WE8EBCDIC500' ) from dual;
                  select convert('O','WE8EBCDIC500','US7ASCII' ) from dual;
                  Ö - Ascii
                  O - EBCDIC version of ascii Ö

when i use the convert function to first convert say the character above Ö and pass the result to outer CONVERT again, it correctly displays the original characters. So CONVERT as such is able to identify and do the form change correctly. Its just the matter of SQLPLUs not able to show it.

any inputs??
                  Thanks

Abhivyakti
                  • 6. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                    Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                    OK, first, you cannot normally see any EBCDIC text on Windows. This has nothing to do with SQL*Plus. Notepad will not show EBCDIC letters either. This is simply a matter of available fonts and their encoding. You need a mainframe terminal (or an emulator that does the conversion from EBCDIC back to Windows code page) to correctly view an EBCDIC file.

Second, if you use UTL_FILE, NLS_LANG does not matter. NLS_LANG is for the client. UTL_FILE does everything on the database server. You use SQL*Plus to start some PL/SQL code to call UTL_FILE, but the file is generated on the server in the database character set.

If your database is 9.2, use the UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW function + the UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW function + the UTL_RAW.CONVERT function, to achieve the effect in a supported way.

e.g.:

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(
                    UTL_RAW.CONVERT(
                    UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW( <text expression> ),
                    'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8EBCDIC850',
                    'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1' ) );

You can verify the generated text loking at EBCDIC codes with a hex editor.
                    You can verify that WE8EBCDIC850 corresponds to you requirement
                    by looking at WE8EBCDIC850 definition in the standard Locale Builder utility.

Best regards,
                    Sergiusz
                    • 7. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                      Abhivyakti
                      Hi,

I tried working out ur suggestion. But it gives me error for UTL_RAW.CONVERT. The errror is
                      ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error at m_iLine 3

Here is what i m doing.

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(m_fileType,
                      UTL_RAW.CONVERT(                    UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(TO_CHAR(rec1.Field_01 )),          'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8EBCDIC850',                    'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1' ) );

In here, rec1.Field_01 is the column from cursor containing actual value to be converted to the other char set before writing to file. And m_fileType is the file handle that writes to the file (like UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE(m_fileType,m_RecordData);

m_RecordData is the variable that was containing proper column wise text that was getting added after conversion. But for trial, i have used only 2-3 columns.

I also did DBMS_OUTPUT before this function to see wht values is it converting.

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(TO_CHAR(rec1.Field_01 ));
                      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(TO_CHAR(rec1.Field_01 )));
                      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(UTL_RAW.CONVERT(UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(TO_CHAR( rec1.Field_01 )),'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8EBCDIC850','AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1'));

The first 2 outputs worked fine, when the value of the column was 01, it transfered to RAW (first time, in the same charset) to 3031. And now 3031 is to be transferred to RAW in another charset as per this code but at this point it gives me error as said above. M not able to understand what cud be the error.

I tried to solve it by using a RAW variable....but its not allowing me to declare one.

Can u help??

Sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks
                      Abhivyakti
                      • 8. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                        Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                        Abhivyakti,

Sorry, this is a silly mistake in my code: it should be .WE8EBCDIC500 and not .WE8EBCDIC850 :)

-- Sergiusz
                        • 9. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                          Abhivyakti
                          Hi,

Yes now the conversion is working. But even then, What we are putting is raw data converted to EBCDIC, right?? I mena first we convert normal char data to RAW and then RAW is converted to EBCDIC. Will there be any difference in directly converting CHAR data to EBCDIC and like this??

Let me put my question clearly.
                          I tried to convert char data to hex. But found that there isno direct conversion logica available for that. So waht i did is first convert the data to ASCII and then convert ASCII to HEX. Now i was actually converting hte ascii values to HEX. So if i had char 'A' then i was actually converting 65 yo HEX not A direcetly. and same i was doing while getting back.

Is my question clear here?? Whether i convert the text CHAR directly to EBCDIC or thru RAW and then RAW to EBCDIC it should still give me the correct representation of EBCDIC of that text right??

I still feel the file that i m generating thru this is a normal dat file and not a binary file. Intension was to generate binary file. Any suggestions on that?

Anyways, thanks for the help. I just need to check if there is any Hex editor or something liek that so that i can OPEN the file generated and cross check whether it shows the same values of fname, lname columns as in database.

Thanks
                          Regards
                          Abhivyakti
                          • 10. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                            Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                            Abhivyakti,

Using:

UTL_FILE.PUT(CONVERT(,,))

and

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(UTL_RAW.CONVERT(UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(),,)

will produce the same file. The problem with the first form is that it is formally illegal and may fail in certain database character sets. This is because the result of CONVERT() is VARCHAR2 but it contains data not in the database character set. And this is illegal.

In the second case we cast (not convert!) the character data to RAW, i.e. we just change the datatype label of a buffer, and do the same conversion and output as in the first case, just declaring the data as bytes and not characters. This is safe and will work in any database character set.

-- Sergiusz
                            • 11. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                              Abhivyakti
                              Hi, Sergiusz

Yes I understand what you are saying. Well... I was able to write the file using this logica. But now another problem. When ever i have avariables that is NULL (column field coming from table is null) then the following does not work.

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(UTL_RAW.CONVERT(UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(),,)

and fails to write a null to the file. I can not use NVL here, because the requirement is that if its null then it shd put that char in EBCDIC. I mean there is a certain representation NULL = CHR(00) =NUL (in EBCDIC)

PLs see this chart on following link If am not able to explain what i mean. This chart contains the representation of each character in HEX, ASCII, EBCDIC, Binary etc.

Using this only i am able to crosscheck whether its doing the conversion the way i expect or not.

http://www.simotime.com/asc2ebc1.htm#D0031

So now the only problem is when my CURSOR contains a NULL for a record, for a column. THen i want it to write NUL instead of me using NVL. If I use NVL i will be giving some value which is not supposed to be so, if a column is null, it shd be represented as nul.

Can u pls suggest me somethign agian. Yes thanks, surely your suggestions have helped me a lot.

regards
                              Ms. Abhivyakti
                              Pune, India
                              • 12. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                                Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                                It is unusual to represent a NULL database value with a NUL character but anyway, my tests with 10.2 show that:

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(
                                UTL_RAW.CONVERT(
                                UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(NVL(column,CHR(0) ) )
                                , ... , ... )
                                )

should work.

-- Sergiusz
                                • 13. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                                  Abhivyakti
                                  Hi

before posting the question for NULL data, I had tried out the following code which did not give me the expected output.

m_raw := UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(CHR(000));
                                  UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW(m_fileType,
                                       UTL_RAW.CONVERT(
                                            m_raw,
                                            'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8EBCDIC500',
                                            'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1' ) );

And even after making CHR(0), as i also expected to give NUL, it is actually givin NULL meaning a blank(as if a space char is there). So I dont know wht to do to get the display of NUL there in the EBCDIC file.

Actually, I have checked all the possible values and their equivalent char in EBCDIC. In the sampel file that i m given, I do see the NUL char displayed(in VEDIT editor)

do let me know if you have tried something else as well.

Thanks so much for being so helpful.

regards
                                  Abhivyakti
                                  • 14. Re: CONVERT function to convert the data to EBCDIC & display on SQLPLUS
                                    Sergiusz Wolicki-Oracle
                                    I do not understand how you differentiate between NUL and NULL?
                                    Can you just do

od -c <file>

on the file produced and see the code there? The NUL should be displayed octally as \000 or \0. I assume that m_raw is declared as RAW(...).

-- Sergiusz
                                    1 2 Previous Next