1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2005 11:50 PM by 466466 RSS

ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

i hav 2 database and i am using oracle9i on redhat linux EL3
      the name of 2 databases are TEST and TEST01
      i created TEST through dbca and created TEST01 through manual database creation
      my create database script run perfectly and the other relevant scripts too
      but when i connect sys@test01 as sysdba i get the following error

and when i connect test throgh the same method i am able to connect
      i hav checked all my listener and tnsnames configeration
      still i am not able to connect to the database that i created manually through the command
      sys@test01 as sysdba
      can anyone help
      thanx
        • 1. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
          Did you set the correct ORACLE_SID in your environment?

cu
          Andreas
          • 2. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
            can you try to re-create the password file (default $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/$ORACLE_SIDpwd.ora ) and check your sqlnet.ora (default in $TNS_ADMIN or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin) for SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES (i think it has to be NTS, not really sure though)
            • 3. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
              i have recreated the password file and have set the required parameter in sqlnet.ora
              i hav etries with both NTS and NONE but still iam facing the same error
              and yes my SID parameter is set
              thanks
              • 4. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                Hi!
                Can you connect to TEST01 database using not privilage user, like scott@test01?
                Or with system@test01, without "as sysdba" ?
                • 5. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                  Try with this :
                  export ORACLE_SID=TEST
                  sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

Bye
                  Daniel
                  • 6. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                    still not able to connect :-(

Enter user-name: scott@test01
                    Enter password:
                    ERROR:
                    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
                    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                    Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

Enter user-name: system@test01
                    Enter password:
                    ERROR:
                    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                    Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

export ORACLE_SID=TEST01
                    $ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Dec 22 11:39:03 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
                    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

thanks
                    • 7. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                      Ivan Kartik
                      Probably you didn't create password file for TEST01 instance
                      • 8. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                        is your database name "TEST01" or "test01". (it's unix, so please mind case sensitivity). Please check this too.
                        • 9. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                          This error message is different:
                          It means Oracle Instance is not active.

If you have two databases in the same server, you need to create two running oracle instances. You said you create the firsts one with Oracle tool (I suposse it create implicity one oracle instance related to TEST).
                          Later you create manually TEST01 Databases, it seems you need to create manually and Oracle Instance for TEST01

Just another posibility.

Message was edited by:
                          user475155
                          • 10. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                            This error message is different:
                            It means Oracle Instance is not active.

If you have two databases in the same server, you
                            need to create two running oracle instances. You said
                            you create the firsts one with Oracle tool (I suposse
                            it create implicity one oracle instance related to
                            TEST).
                            Later you create manually TEST01 Databases, it seems
                            you need to create manually and Oracle Instance for
                            TEST01

Just another posibility.
                            And how do you activate you oracle instance? Isn't this by logging on to the database as sysdba and starting it? (sorry for the sarcasm).
                            • 11. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                              export ORACLE_SID=TEST01
                              $ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Dec 22 11:39:03 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
                              Sounds like the user you're logged into the OS as is not in the same OS-group as the osdba group. When you installed the database, Oracle asked you for an OS group name. Only users in this group can log in as sysdba.

I'd double check what groups your user is a member of, and possibly change the primary group of your user. Especially if you just click past that "osdba group" window, you might try logging into the OS as the user who installed the Oracle databases, then try "sqlplus / as sysdba" with the appropriate ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environmental variables set.

I know, this sounds really obvious to some of the people here, but sometimes it's the most obvious things that are overlooked, and I note that you never did mention what user you're attempting all of this as...

Hope that helps,

~Indigo
                              • 12. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                                thanks everyone :-)
                                i tried every case TEST01 and test01 as my SID still not able to connect
                                and the user that u r mentioning is oracle i installed oracle according to the site where we create oracle user and oinstall is the group. i dont think the problem has anything to do with the user
                                and the orapwd file has been recreated ..one think that i am not sure is that during manual database creation is thier a particular time where we need to create this file because i recreated after creating the database

bye :-)
                                • 13. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                                  Another posibility

If your password have some especial character to Unix shell, it could generate this problem.
                                  Passwords like 25$788 1783\837 must be introduce in shell in especial form:

"25$788" or "25\$88", ...
                                  • 14. Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
                                    view the /etc/oratab file then u will see some lines like this

ORACLE_SID:ORACLE_HOME:Y
                                    ORACLE_SID:ORACLE_HOME:N

i think so the new database test01 u created is not in this list. add ur instance one below line with oracle_sid:oracle_home path:y/n. y means, database will start while u r using ./dbstart utility. n means, it won't.

then start ur dbstart utility. it will start 2 database as per ur error, set oracle_sid then u can connect with out error.
                                    1 2 Previous Next