8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 1:34 AM by Ora-aff RSS

career guidance

Ora-aff

Where can I post career related question?

• 1. Re: career guidance
          Matthew Morris

They are often posted in this forum.  There is not an OTN forum specific to that topic.

• 2. Re: career guidance
            Ora-aff

Okay.

I have been writing SQL queries since last 1.5 years. I have the following certifications in my kit:

All the above certifications I completed in the year 2011-2012. I plan to take Oracle Database 11g Release 2: SQL Tuning in couple of months.

That said, when I seacrh for job opportunities in SQL, I am provided with jobs that require EBS, PeopleSoft, ETL, Data loeader, etc knowledge and expertise. I don't have working experience in PL/SQL.

How can I take my career forward?

• 3. Re: career guidance
              Matthew Morris

That said, when I seacrh for job opportunities in SQL, I am provided with jobs that require EBS, PeopleSoft, ETL, Data loeader, etc knowledge and expertise. I don't have working experience in PL/SQL.

Just to set expectations properly -- I've been working with Oracle for 18 years.  When I search job listings by my primary areas of expertise (PL/SQL/DBA), many of the jobs still request knowledge that I don't have (Peoplesoft is a good examples).  You will never learn every technology that employers will ask for.

What you have to work towards during your career and especially in the early portions of it is to makes use of every opportunity to expand the scope of your knowledge by learning new technologies.  However, you also want to continue becoming more proficient at whatever you consider your core skills (currently SQL and PL/SQL for you) at the same time.  If possible while at your current job -- try to find ways to expand on the technologies that you work with.  Certifications are good, but being able to say "I worked with technology X while at Company Y" is a big plus.

When you are looking to move to a new job, you have to look for a match with your current skills, of course.  However, you should also try to find a job that will expand on your skills.  If you move to a new job where you are working with the same technologies that you did at the old one (or fewer), then it is not broadening your knowledge base (plus it becomes boring... at least to me). If you move to a job that is a 70% match with your current skills, then you will theoretically broaden your knowledge base by almost half while working there.

• 4. Re: career guidance
                Ora-aff

That makes sense. I think finding your book IZ0-117 at local book seller would be difficult. I will just order one from Pothi. Cannot wait to read the book. Thank you.

• 5. Re: career guidance
                  Matthew Morris

1Z0-117 is a bear of a test as I mention here:

Oracle 1Z0-117: An SQL Tuning Challenge | GoCertify

and here:

Oracle Certification Prep: 1Z0-117 -- This Exam is Rough

Don't restrict your preparation to just my guide.  I have gathered links to the documentation and articles I used when preparing the guide at the URL below.  I highly recommend including them in your study process.

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-117

• 6. Re: career guidance
                    Ora-aff

Thanks Matthew. I will include the resources you have provided in my preparation.

• 7. Re: career guidance
                      Philippe Ludwig

You "writing SQL queries since last 1.5 years" and passed 3 hard Oracle exams? Are you a genious or did you use dumps?

For me this sound like magic

• 8. Re: career guidance
                        Ora-aff

You neither have to be a genious nor use dups to pass oracle certification. That said, I never mentioned the time taken to prepare for exams. FYI - it was more than 3 years. From 2007 to 2011 that is excluding the one and a half year of learning Advance Database Management System as a specialization subject in academics. It is only after passing the first two certifications, I started working as SQL developer.