5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 11:42 PM by Philip Stoyanov RSS

Designer Import Objects

marcusafs Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated

In SDDM 4.0.0.833, is it still true that Import--> Oracle Designer Model does not import any of the implementation information from the DB Admin tab?

• 1. Re: Designer Import Objects
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

yes, no changes on that. You can get details from database where systems are implemented.

Philip

• 2. Re: Designer Import Objects
    marcusafs Journeyer

Thanks.  If you import from a DDL file, are any DB Admin items brought in?  Like Privs, Storage parameters, etc. If so, a work around would be to generate DDL from Designer and import the DDL files.

• 3. Re: Designer Import Objects
    David Last Expert

Hi Marcus,

Yes, you should be able to import your privileges, storage parameters, etc using import from DDL file.

Import from Data Dictionary should also import these definitions.

David

• 4. Re: Designer Import Objects
    marcusafs Journeyer

The issue that I have is 3 Oracle databases and 2 Designer implementations and I need to verify the appropriate design to database.  I found out that you can only import from Designer one time into the same Relational Model because that wizard does not allow you to pick the relational or physical model.  I prefer to do a staged Import from Designer.

• 5. Re: Designer Import Objects
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

I found out that you can only import from Designer one time into the same Relational Model

It imports into "current" relational model. You can set one particular model as "current" one using "File>Export>DDL File" and select the model to be used in DDL generation.

However bear in mind imported objects have the same object ID as it is in Designer's repository - so if table is imported in one relational model then you'll have problem trying to import the same table into another relational model.

You can try to import to another design and later use "Tool>Compare/Merge models" to import relational model (or to another physical model).

For physical model - you also can use "clone physical model" functionality(clone, save, delete and again import ... )

Philip

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points