3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 10:45 AM by Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle RSS

Multiple connections to same DB

makel

Are there any plans to change the way that multiple database connections are handled?  Unshared connections are fine up to a point, but when a query is running in the "master" connection, you get problems:

• can't browse or open database objects from the connection browser
      • can't open a script from file and select an idle connection to run it
      • etc.

Most people end up running multiple instances of SQL Dev as a result, which is not ideal.

• 1. Re: Multiple connections to same DB
          Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

>>Most people end up running multiple instances of SQL Dev as a result, which is not ideal.

Agreed.

If I have any inkling that my query won't be on the 'quick and dirty' scale, I always open an unshared connection for it.

I also have duplicate connections in my tree that I can open if I need to do something while my main connection is tied up.

• 2. Re: Multiple connections to same DB
            makel

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

If I have any inkling that my query won't be on the 'quick and dirty' scale, I always open an unshared connection for it.

Yes, but we don't always know in advance that a small change will result in a really bad access path.  And if we're using thin-client connections, we may have to wait a while for a cancelled query to be killed.

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

I also have duplicate connections in my tree that I can open if I need to do something while my main connection is tied up.

That's an interesting workaround.  I have a lot of connections already (about 30), but I suppose I can put the standby connections into folders.  How difficult would it be for the IDE to do something like that for us?

p.s. I really like the improvements in SQL Dev 4, but the requirement to use the latest instant client means I can't use thick client because we have some 9i databases.

• 3. Re: Multiple connections to same DB
              Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

I would keep an older copy of SQLDev around for your 9i instances. Then get the latest thick client for SQL Dev 4 on your newer databases. You can have multiple clients/sqldev installs on your machine.