1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 6:01 PM by gCubed RSS

Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio

melvino

Hi Team,

Currently we have a Project ID Duplication and Project ID not getting generated for a certain projects in a particular portfolio.

Would appreciate some light on this issue.

Kindly revert on this same discussion.

Regards,

Melwin Fernandes

• 1. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
          gCubed

Is this happening in OPPM (ProSight) or P6? 

If OPPM, there is a system category called "Project UID" which is maintained by the Project Management Bridge software.

If "Project ID' is a user defined category, what is the advance function tied to both the value and summary values.

V/r,

Gene

• 2. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
            melvino

Hi Gene,

Thank you for your prompt revert.

This is happening in OPPM (Prosight).

Meantime I will work on finding the advance funtion.

One Question :- thought of asking, is "Project UID" and "Project ID" are two different categories ?

if these two categories are having issues then all the projects that are created should be affecting instead when selecting a particular portfolio..                            right ?

Regards,

Melwin Fernandes

• 3. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
              gCubed

Project UID is a system category that is used by the Project Bridge.

Project ID must be one created during the configuration of the OPPM system.

To find the functions attached to a category.

Click on Setup menu and select categories drop-down, in the search tab enter Project ID. 

Once you find the category, highlight it and click on edit.

On the left side, click on Data Source.

If there is a function attached to the Value, the Data Source will say Function.  If so, click on Edit to see the function source.

Given you original statement "Project ID Duplication and Project ID not getting generated", I am assuming the Project ID is created via a data source function.

If not, then the category cell is updated by  manual entry or import / staging table or via the API.

V/r,

Gene

• 4. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                melvino

Hi Gene,

I found two categories when searched as "Project", 1. Project ID and 2. PRM Project ID. below are the details of from Datasource tab.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for Category - "Project ID" - details from Datasource tab,

after selecting the row with -- Cell type = '"Value" and  Data source = "Function"

then clicked on "Edit" buttton, below are the details.

Datasource: "Calculated"

Calculation: "Advanced function"

Script:

var me = getCell("Status");

return me.ItemID;

Description: "Advanced Function"

after selecting the row with -- Cell type = '"Summary Value" and  Data source = "Function"

then clicked on "Edit" buttton, below are the details.

Datasource: "Calculated"

Calculation: "Advanced function"

Script: "return null;"

Description: "Advanced Function"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for Category - "PRM Project ID" - details from Datasource tab,

after selecting the row with -- Cell type = "Value" and Data source = "Manual"

then clicked on "Edit" button, below are the details.

Datasource: "Manual"

Description: "Manual Update"

after selecting the row with -- Cell type = "Summary Value" and Data source = "Manual"

then clicked on "Edit" button, below are the details.

Datasource: "Manual"

Description: "Manual Update"

• 5. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                  gCubed

OK, your instance has been around for a while.  I think PRM Project ID was used by the EPK resource management system – circa ProSight version 4.

As for Project ID, this category's value data source advance function will be the internal id (PORTFOLIO_ID in the PS_PORTFOLIO_PROP table) of the item.

So I am not sure how you would have a duplicate value as these are unique in the database unless someone did a manual “override value” from a scorecard.  You could test this by toggling an item’s status.  Select one of the duplicates and change it status, submit, change the status back to the original value submit. Repeat this on the other duplicates.  This should reset the values to the internal id.

Now for the more interesting “not getting generated”, what type of objects are you looking at (item, portfolio, portfolio of portfolios or dynamic list items)?

If you want the internal id on portfolios, you will need to update the summary value data source to match the value data source.  For dynamic list items, you will need to change the getCell(“status”) to getCell(“manager”) as sub items don’t have a status.

V/r,

Gene

• 6. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                    melvino

now to update you further..below is what I did..

Note:- the UCI category value and project name are concatenated in the category Project Name e.g. "10012 - Test project name".

Appended an exsisting scorecard and added two existing categories - 1. Project ID and 2. UCI.

Now after performing the above steps in the scorecard, i noticed for the projects that did not had the UCI value, had the Project ID value in the Project ID category column in the scorecard but the UCI category value was blank in the UCI category column and in category "Project Name", then I realised that this could be a calculation isssue, during my previous organization this calculation issue occured due to Function Engine.

Now when i create a new project, the UCI category value is getting generated but is duplicated for all the new projects that being created.

Then I checked the Function Engine and noticed that the Function Engine was last completed last 12 days ago and currently there are lots of functions and actions to be processed and in queue.

so can you please suggest on a possible solution or

if i need to restart the function engine and wait till all the current functions and actions are cleared from the queues, then create a new test project.

Also how to restart the Function Engine.

Regards,

Melwin

• 7. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                      gCubed

I would get the function engine running before trying to debug the issues with UCI value issues.

On the server there is a Portfolio Management Console that provide you the ability to start/stop/restart the system.

If the function engine is running and not processing function, you will need to look into the ProSight log files to see if you have any errors that my be causing problems.

V/r,

Gene

• 8. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                        melvino

Hi Gene,

What are consequence or impacts of the PPM services restart on the application,

I mean will the PPM services restart create any issues on the application.

Regards,

Melwin

• 9. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                          gCubed

I would check to see what types of errors you have in your log files but there should be any issues.

We restart the system every Sunday night as a routine maintenance process.

V/r,

Gene

• 10. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                            melvino

Hi Gene,

Apologies - i did not get you on "but there should be any issues".

You mean there shouldn't be any issues if I restart the PPM services ?

Regards,

Melwin

• 11. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                              gCubed

Unless you have something really wrong with your server / configuration there shouldn't be any issues.

Like I said, we do it weekly.  Our process is to shut down the PPM service, Function Engine Service (on another server), we have a dedicated MSSQL server so we shut it down.  We shutdown each of these in that order.  Once they are all down, we restart them is the reverse order (MSSQL, Function Engine, PPM).  We also have a monthly maintenance window in which we reboot each of the servers.

On the server, in the Start Menu in Primavera Portfolio Management menu you will also find start and stop utilities for the server.  Under the Utilities folder, there is also and Action Queue Viewer that will tell you how many action you have in the queue and the number of POPs for each action.  A large number of POPs for an Action usually means you have something stuck in the queue.

BTW if you have your function engine running on a different server, you will need to restart the service on the server to recycle the function engine.

V/r,

Gene

• 12. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                                melvino

Hi Gene,

Thank you.

The project id issue got resolved after the Functions and actions in the queue were processed successfully on the Function Engine.

One final question, what is the reason for Function Engine slow down in processing the Functions and actions

or Function Engine getting stopped in processing the functions and actions ?

Regards,

Melwin

• 13. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                                  gCubed

The function engine performance – some of my thoughts:

The function engine is chatty with the database server so make sure they are as network close to each other as possible.  Also check to make sure you have a fare number of ports open for MSDTC to use.

The function engine can cause a lot of I/O on the database server so make sure the DB server is tuned for lots of reads especially around the cell history table.

Lots of calculating portfolio can generate a large number of actions.  The default for creating a new portfolio is calculating.  Try and make as many portfolios non-calculating as possible.

Do not include categories in advance function that are not needed to be evaluated.  A historical practice was to check an item’s domain to set an indicator that the user was using a correct form.  Since the domain category was used in a large number of calculations on our system, it was untypical for our system to have 2.2 million functions that needed to calculate with the creation of a new item in system.

I like to use import categories for categories that don’t need to have a near real time calculation especially around categories that need today function in which the date doesn't really need to be check daily.

Trim cell history every chance you get via the Database Cleanup Utility.

V/r,

Gene

• 14. Re: Project ID Duplication and Project ID not generated for certain projects in a particular portfolio
                                    melvino

Hi Gene,

Thank you soo much for your prompt help and assistance on a regular basis.

Regards,

Melwin

1 2 Previous Next