3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2014 11:51 PM by budachst RSS

Cannot bridge virtual NIC to virtual bridge switch in Oracle VM x86 3.2

Cuong Pham

Hi all.

I have 3 SupperMicro servers with these hardware configurations:

- 1 CPU

- 3 HDD

- 2 NIC

After installing Oracle VM server 3, two NIC have been aggregated to bond0 interface. I've created virtual machine on a server then try to bridge that virtual NIC to virtual bridge but did not success. I've read that blog (https://blogs.oracle.com/eSTEP/entry/virtualization_oracle_part_6_network) and wondering about this problem. Is is need more than 2 NIC interface to work ?

When I check information with brctl, I cannot see my virtual NIC that allocated to guest virtual machine. How to add that virtual NIC to virtual bridge ?

That is my first time with OVM, please give me suggestion.

Thank in advance.

• 1. Re: Cannot bridge virtual NIC to virtual bridge switch in Oracle VM x86 3.2
          budachst

Usually, the OVM installer creates a bond0 interface using the NIC you selected as the magement network. For me, it never actually tied two NICs to the bond0 interface. You should get rid of the 2nd bonded interface and use that 2nd NIC for your guests.

• 2. Re: Cannot bridge virtual NIC to virtual bridge switch in Oracle VM x86 3.2
            Cuong Pham

I've check my settings and I think you are right.

- NIC 1

DEVICE=eth0
            HWADDR=00:25:90:6B:15:A8
            BOOTPROTO=none
            ONBOOT=yes
            BRIDGE=10b661baf0
            NM_CONTROLLED=no

- NIC 2

DEVICE=eth1
            BOOTPROTO=none
            HWADDR=00:25:90:6B:15:A9
            ONBOOT=yes
            MASTER=bond0
            SLAVE=yes

- bond0

DEVICE=bond0
            BONDING_OPTS="mode=1 miimon=250 use_carrier=1 updelay=500 downdelay=500 primary=eth1"
            BOOTPROTO=static
            ONBOOT=yes
            IPADDR=192.168.50.51
            NETMASK=255.255.255.0
            #NETWORK=192.168.50.0
            GATEWAY=192.168.50.x

- bridge

DEVICE=10b661baf0
            TYPE=Bridge
            BOOTPROTO=none
            ONBOOT=yes
            DELAY=0

[root@oravm3 network-scripts]# brctl show
            bridge name     bridge id                    STP enabled     interfaces
            10b661baf0      8000.0025906b15a8       no                eth0
                                                                                          tap5.0
                                                                                          vif5.0

So, with your suggestions, I am considering some tasks that have to do:

- connect two NICs to network (I am using same network 192.168.50.0/24 for management and guest virtual machine)

- set the IP for bridge (192.168.50.x)

- how does connect Virtual NIC to bridge (to 192.168.50.0/24 network)?

Sorry for my bad understanding

• 3. Re: Cannot bridge virtual NIC to virtual bridge switch in Oracle VM x86 3.2
              budachst

Please use OVM Manager to set these things - it will do all the setup for you. Changeing settings by bypassing OVMM can lead to very "intertesting" results.