3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 5:59 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

Recreate a physical standby for Oracle 10g

Deepak Pushkarna Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I want to recreate a physical standby for Oracle 10g without shutting the Primary database.

We are using Tape for taking backup.

Although I have steps for the same, if we take incremental / backup on Disk, but unable to find anything if we use Tape.

Please guide me in the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Deepak

• 1. Re: Recreate a physical standby for Oracle 10g
    FreddieEssex Pro

How do you mean unable to find anything?

If it was backed up to tape then it should still be available no?  Do you mean when you run the list backup of database command in RMAN do you see nothing?

Or do you mean the standby database can't see the RMAN backups?

Is your standby on your standby site poiting to the same catalog database as the primary...is the host configured to use the same tape library or at least a copy of the primary sites tape library?  If not then the standby host will not see any of the primary database backups.

What are you using to backup to tape?  Is it netbackup or Tivoli?  Have you looked at restoring to alternate hosts when you have to do some jiggery-pokery on the netbackup/Tivoli configuration to allow you to do a duplicate to another host (or it might be a restore and not duplicate....I can't remember now...the RMAN error will guide you as to where the error lies).

• 2. Re: Recreate a physical standby for Oracle 10g
    user591655 Journeyer

Hi Deepak,

Have you taken backups from standby or primary,Are you using recovery catalog?

List backup not returning anything? Do you have backup logs to identify the backups created.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Recreate a physical standby for Oracle 10g
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

Your Standby server must be able to connect to the Tape Library.  So, the Tape Library configuration (e.g. the shared library file, environment parameters etc) must also be done on the Standby.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points