6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2014 1:01 PM by f0c57b13-9065-42bc-81a7-6d88e9c0cfbc RSS

Deployment.properties not working as expected

RobSmith

Hello,

I am trying to manage the deployment of Java 7 Update 51 to our enterprise, but the deployment.properties that I have configured do not seem to be working the way I expected.  I have my deployment.properties and deployment.config in C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment.  What I was expecting to happen, is that when a user launches a Java web applet it would load those configured settings.  The problem is that it is not loading when at all when an applet is launched, but it does load if I open the Java applet in Control Panel.  I was thinking that maybe my deployment.config or .properties was not configured correctly, but since the settings load when I launch the Control Panel applet I would think I have everything configured correctly.  Is there something I am missing or is this intended?

Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
          798e9d05-f1d5-4509-a326-262532e7db2e

Can you post the content of the deployment.config and deployment.properties?

The config should be similar to

deployment.system.config=file\:C\:/Windows/Sun/Java/Deployment/deployment.properties

deployment.system.config.mandatory=true

The properties like follows:

deployment.expiration.decision=NEVER

deployment.expiration.decision.suppression=TRUE

deployment.version=7.0

deployment.security.level=MEDIUM

deployment.security.level.locked

deployment.security.mixcode=HIDE_RUN

deployment.security.mixcode.locked

deployment.insecure.jres=ALWAYS

deployment.javaws.autodownload=NEVER

deployment.javaws.autodownload.locked

• 2. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
            RobSmith

Here is the deployment.config:

deployment.system.config=file\:C\:/WINDOWS/Sun/Java/Deployment/deployment.properties

deployment.system.config.mandatory=true

And the deployment.properties:

deployment.expiration.check.enabled=false

deployment.expiration.decision=never

deployment.expiration.decision.suppression=true

deployment.version=7.0

deployment.security.level=medium

deployment.security.mixcode=disable

deployment.insecure.jres=always

deployment.javaws.autodownload=never

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
              798e9d05-f1d5-4509-a326-262532e7db2e

At the first view I can't see any syntax error.

What is the main problem running your applet? Is it possible that the mixcode feature is the main problem?

Did you try to change the settings in the control panel?

• 4. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
                RobSmith

Basically, I work for a school district and a portion of a web application that our teachers use runs on Java.  This application will most of the time stop working with new updates of Java until they can patch it, which could take weeks or months.  We have our systems locked down so users cannot update Java, but in the newer versions of Java they have been getting the warning messages about Java being out of date.  Most of our users are not very tech savvy so this message confused them and caused a huge influx of help desk calls.  We want to prevent that message from ever displaying.  I was hoping that if I use deployment.properties, it would do these two things (or at least #2):

1. Apply those settings when Java is installed
                2. Apply those settings when the web application is launched

It's possible that it applies those settings when Java is installed, but the problem is that those settings are per user and not system-wide.  It is definitely not applying the settings when the web application is launched because users are instantly getting the warning messages even with deployment.properties and deployment.config sitting C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment.  Again, the only time deployment.properties settings get applied is if I open the "Configure Java" applet in Control Panel.

We have multiple users logging on to the same computer every day and it's almost never the same users.  We need these settings to apply for every user who has logged into the computer, who is currently logged into the computer, or who will ever log onto the computer in the future.  If these settings can be made system-wide that would be fantastic, but in all my testing and reading, all I ever see happen is deployment.properties settings get written to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AppDataLow\Software\JavaSoft\DeploymentProperties.  Is there any way to get these settings system-wide and not per user? 

• 5. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
                  a11fbaaf-18f6-45c9-86f1-d0c9690a08d3

Hi Rob

I just banged my head on this for longer than I care to admit... but I might be able to help you.

I was getting hung up on setting up the 'deployment.config' file, and in my case to setup a global policy using Group Policy for my Citrix environment.

No matter what I put in the 'deployment.config' file it just would NOT work... so I finally just got rid of all that and started over.

ALL I did was log on to the server and created a 'deployment.properties' under C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment

The contents of said 'deployment.config' were simply:

deployment.security.level.locked

Again all the Oracle doc's and blog posts I read said "you need 'deployment.config' and 'deployment.properties' to make this work... well until I just ditched the 'deployment.config' file NOTHING worked just as you described, but now I am G2G.

For my needs, that's enough... but I'm sure you can expand on that to your hearts content.

I've attached a screen shot below as well... can't hurt.

I really hope that helps you and anybody else who's been banging their head on this one, I am so happy to put this one behind me.  Now all I'm going to do is push this file update out via GPO to my relevant systems and move on to the next fire!https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bTM3TqUgYhM/UxjwIPU0VEI/AAAAAAAACk4/jhVhZXXq-zs/w770-h729-no/java_example.PNG

• 6. Re: Deployment.properties not working as expected
                    f0c57b13-9065-42bc-81a7-6d88e9c0cfbc

#deployment.properties

#Thu Jan 16 11:20:59 EST 2014

deployment.modified.timestamp=1389889259294

deployment.version=7.21

deployment.expiration.check.enabled = false

deployment.expiration.decision.suppression = TRUE

deployment.javaws.autodownload = NEVER

deployment.javaws.autodownload.locked

deployment.browser.path=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\Citrix\\system32\\iexplore.exe

#Java Deployment jre's

#Thu Jan 16 11:20:59 EST 2014

deployment.javaws.jre.0.registered=true

deployment.javaws.jre.0.platform=1.7

deployment.javaws.jre.0.osname=Windows

deployment.javaws.jre.0.path=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\javaw.exe

deployment.javaws.jre.0.product=1.7.0_51

deployment.javaws.jre.0.osarch=x86

deployment.javaws.jre.0.location=http\://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se

deployment.javaws.jre.0.enabled=true

deployment.javaws.jre.0.args=

deployment.expiration.decision.suppression=true

deployment.expiration.decision=later

This is the config we push out.  Essentially, we cheat because we copy the file during login process.

Works great on v7.

However, in testing V8, it seems that as soon as Java starts running, it modifies this file and removes the security.level.  This means that an app ALL of my users use stops working.

WTF, Oracle?