7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 1:38 PM by clcarter RSS

RMAN catalog on 11g XE

selflessscoundrel

First off, I am an oracle novice personally, more of a linux administrator myself.  But I am assisting troubleshooting errors with doing RMAN backups of a database.

We are connecting to an Enterprise Edition of Oracle (11.2.0.4.0) to back up the database.  Our recovery catalog is using Oracle 11g Express edition (I think the version number specifically is 11.2.0.2.0)

The backup sends a pretty normal RMAN backup script.  We get the following output from our logs:

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed Feb 26 10:17:17 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: LIVEDB (DBID=##########)

connected to recovery catalog database

PL/SQL package CATALOG.DBMS_RCVCAT version 11.02.00.02 in RCVCAT database is not current

PL/SQL package CATALOG.DBMS_RCVMAN version 11.02.00.02 in RCVCAT database is not current

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on ch00 channel at 02/26/2014 10:17:19

RMAN-10015: error compiling PL/SQL program

RMAN-10014: PL/SQL error 0 on line 102 column 12: Statement ignored

RMAN-10014: PL/SQL error 302 on line 102 column 24: component 'THROTTLE_ME' must be declared

Recovery Manager complete.

(note - recovery catalog name renamed to CATALOG and target database renamed to LIVEDB to keep things generic)

I'm assuming that the issue is that ORACLE XE has an outdated version of the recovery catalog as compared to the RMAN on the target database (11.2.0.4.0 vs 11.2.0.2).

So, two questions:

1) Is this a version issue as I am guessing, or is there something else going on?

2) Is there anything we can do while still using the oracle XE software as the recovery catalog?

I have the RMAN script if I need to post it.

• 1. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
          clcarter

>> 1 ... version issue?

Probably ... I'm no rman expert but just a guess based on the RV(CAT|MAN) version 11.02.00.02 ... message

>> 2 ... anything to do?

Perhaps try a catalog upgrade, that ought to get the version in the catalog db up to snuff, the `upgrade catalog` command in rman (needs a 2x run to confirm) after connecting might straighten it out. Others may have much better info. Google can offer better (or, It Depends, maybe not so better) advice.

But the overall question, if you have EE in use why bother with an XE install for the rman catalog instance?  11.2.0.2 release was moved to extended support quite some time ago, and creating a database instance is not a big deal. With a host, some storage, and a few commands it doesn't take long to create an instance. Or there is the DBCA if the GUI tools are preferred, but they're not my preference .

RMAN is quite a powerful (and quite complex) utility, with some settings the defaults are fine, others, not so much. Knowing the rman configuration is rather critical, and when a restore is needed is not an ideal time to go hunting down the "how to".

• 2. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
            selflessscoundrel

clcarter,

Thanks for the reply.

I've run upgrade catalog x2 on the recovery catalog and I get the following response from Express edition:

recovery catalog upgraded to version 11.02.00.02

DBMS_RCVMAN package upgraded to version 11.02.00.02

DBMS_RCVCAT package upgraded to version 11.02.00.02

I don't think the catalog is going to upgrade past that.

To answer the other question - the decision to try to use XE to backup EE is due to our group (the backup group) being separate from the database group, and we wanted to keep our own database and catalog for backups separate from the other departments.  It is not only a question of organization, but also of Disaster Recovery and other considerations - we would like to be independent from the other groups so in case of catastrophe we don't need to wait on anyone to get our systems back online.

• 3. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
              clcarter

Using the EE 11.2.0.4 client to connect to the catalog instance?

• 4. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
                selflessscoundrel

clcarter (and others),

Also note - we haven't gotten to restores yet.  Just to using RMAN to backup as above.  Obviously we'll attempt a test restore if/when the backups are successful.

• 5. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
                  selflessscoundrel

CLCARTER said - Using the EE 11.2.0.4 client to connect to the catalog instance?

Yes - the rman utility on the EE 11.2.0.4 client to connect to the catalog instance running on XE 11.2.0.2

Actually.... hold one.

• 6. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
                    selflessscoundrel

So, we have successfully upgraded our catalog to 11.2.0.4 and did a backup.

The solution, which may have been easier than easy, was to use the client's RMAN (11.2.0.4) to connect to our catalog (11.2.0.2).  Then run the upgrade catalog command.

Simple.

Basically

RMAN> connect username/password@CATALOG

RMAN > upgrade catalog

Obviously, CATALOG is the name of your recovery catalog, and probably should have a tnsnames.ora entry and such.

We got it working.

clcarter, thanks for the breadcrumbs - I never would have thought to use the client rman to update the main server catalog.

• 7. Re: RMAN catalog on 11g XE
                      clcarter

No worries, glad to be of help on rman, I've not used it much outside of oracle U. classes. Been a while too.