1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 12:42 PM by Emad Al-Mousa RSS

I am a confused newbie :-(

0cf8c0d7-b216-44f3-9ec4-861709b81445

I am new to installing Oracle database on my home PC (I have MySQL installed already).

I've managed to install 11G XE as well as install (unpack, really) SQL Developer.

Now I am confused at what I have. This will probably sound extremely stupid, but let's agree there are no stupid questions, especially from total beginners, so:

For example, on the desktop I have an icon named "Get Started With Oracle Database 11g Express Edition".

When I double click on it and log in with SYSTEM and my password, I come to a page where I can check Storage, Sessions, Parameters, and Application Express.

What is this and what is this useful for?

What is port 8080 and how is it different from port 1521 that I see when I try to create a new connection in my SQL Developer GUI?

In the subfolder "C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server" I have internet shortcuts to "Get_started", "Online_forum" (that is how I got here), "Online_help" as well as "Database_homepage". When I tried to open "Online_help" and "Database_homepage" I got log-in popups saying "The server http://127.0.0.1:8080 requires a username and password. The server says: XDB", but I cannot log in no matter how I try (first of all I tried SYSTEM user with the password, as for Get Started shortcut). What are these pages and how can I log in?

It is all so complicated. Help, please.

S