7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2014 1:57 AM by Jonathan Lewis RSS

Aggregate function in a correlated subquery

Prathap S

Hi All,

We have this query in our application which works fine in 9i but fails in 11gR2 (on Exadata) giving an "ORA-00937: not a single-group group function" error.

SELECT   A.CNTRL_ID,

B.FILEID,

C.VNDR_ID,

D.STRT_DT,

D.END_DT,

COUNT ( * ) TOT_REC,

COUNT (DECODE (PROCESSED_FILE, 'Y', 1, NULL)) PROCESSED,

COUNT (DECODE (PROCESSED_FILE, 'N', 1, NULL)) NOT_PROCESSED

FROM   EMPLOYEE B,

EXTRACT_CONTROL D,

FILE_CONFIG C

WHERE   C.FILEID = B.FILEID

AND C.CONFIG_ID = D.CONFIG_ID

AND STATUS NOT IN ('INCOMP')

and (NVL(D.END_DT,TRUNC(SYSDATE)),D.CONFIG_ID)

in

(SELECT MAX(NVL(END_DT,TRUNC(SYSDATE))),C.CONFIG_ID

from EXTRACT_CONTROL C WHERE C.CONFIG_ID = D.CONFIG_ID  

AND C.STATUS not in ('INCOMP','FAILED')

)

GROUP BY   CNTRL_ID,

B.FILEID,

C.VNDR_ID,

D.STRT_DT,

D.END_DT

The subquery is selecting a column and it doesn't have a group by clause at all. I am not sure how is this even working in 9i. I always thought that on a simple query using an aggregate function (without any analytic functions / clause), we cannot select a column without having that column in the group by clause. So, how 11g behaves was not a surprise but surprised to see how 9i behaves. Can someone explain this behaviour?

Thanks,

Prathap

• 1. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
          Jonathan Lewis

This may be due to a change in some of the transformation code.

It's legal to have things like:  "select {constant}, max(colX) from t1 where cola = {constant}" and it's possible that after transformation Oracle 9i left your subquery as a filter subquery (check the predicate section of the plan) in the form:

(SELECT MAX(NVL(END_DT,TRUNC(SYSDATE))),:B1

from EXTRACT_CONTROL C

WHERE C.CONFIG_ID = :B1 

Perhaps in 11g a "clever" transformation unnested the subquery but, as a side effect , failed to note that the C.config_id in the select list was effectively a constant by virtue of the correlation. (You might find this if you checked the 10053 trace file looking for the "UNPARSED QUERY".

It looks as if the two-column comparison isn't needed - but maybe I'm missing something.

Bad use of aliases, by the way, but I'm guessing that's you obfuscating the example.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 2. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
            Frank Kulash

Hi, Prathap,

Prathap S wrote:

and (NVL(D.END_DT,TRUNC(SYSDATE)),D.CONFIG_ID)

in

(SELECT MAX(NVL(END_DT,TRUNC(SYSDATE))),C.CONFIG_ID

from EXTRACT_CONTROL C WHERE C.CONFIG_ID = D.CONFIG_ID  

)

The subquery is selecting a column and it doesn't have a group by clause at all. I am not sure how is this even working in 9i. I always thought that on a simple query using an aggregate function (without any analytic functions / clause), we cannot select a column without having that column in the group by clause. So, how 11g behaves was not a surprise but surprised to see how 9i behaves. Can someone explain this behaviour?

Thanks,

Prathap

I agree; that sounds like a bug in version 9.

Perhaps Oracle 9 realized that C.CONFIG_ID was correlated to something in the main query, and therefore it was almost like being a constant, and constants are allowed in the SELECT cglause of an aggregate query.

That hints at a work around: since it it correlated, there's no reason to include config_id anywhere else in the condition.  That is, replace the condition above with

...     and NVL ( D.END_DT

, TRUNC (SYSDATE)

)  = (   SELECT  MAX ( NVL ( C1.END_DT

,TRUNC (SYSDATE)

)

)

,       C1.CONFIG_ID

from    EXTRACT_CONTROL C1      -- C is used in main query, so use a different alias, like C1, here

WHERE   C1.CONFIG_ID = D.CONFIG_ID 

AND     C1.STATUS    not in ('INCOMP', 'FAILED')

)

You could also do an un-corrleated IN sub-query, with a GROUP BY clause.  I suspect that was done in this query sometime in the past; otherwise, I don't see why anyone would use IN rather than =.

• 3. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
              Jonathan Lewis

I've just created a quick test based on my hypothesis - my idea was right, but the guess about which transformation was wrong.

I have a simple query which has a subquery like yours in it (aggregate with select column that does appear as a group by column).

If the subquery unnested (into a distinct inline view) the query runs, if I block unnesting (/*+ no_unnest */ hint) it fails with the expected Oracle error.  I can get it to work in versions up to 11.1.0.7, but not in versions from 11.2.0.4.  It looks as if 11gR2 may change the order of transformation and optimisation in a way that means the subquery block is optimised independently before it can be transformed out of danger.

I'll publish on my blog in a few minutes (I hope).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 4. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
                Jonathan Lewis

It looks as if 11gR2 may change the order of transformation and optimisation in a way that means the subquery block is optimised independently before it can be transformed out of danger.

I'll publish on my blog in a few minutes (I hope).

Done: Subquery Anomaly | Oracle Scratchpad

11.2 seems to have a check on subquery validity that earlier versions don't have, and the check blocks an unnest that manages to hide the problem.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 5. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
                  Prathap S

Thank you Jonathan and Frank. I still need to read through your replies a couple times to fully understand what you've said. But I guess I'm convinced that its the order of transformation between 9i and 11g is causing this. Thanks!!

• 6. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
                    Prathap S

Yes, these are not the aliases used in the actual query.

• 7. Re: Aggregate function in a correlated subquery
                      Jonathan Lewis

There's a comment on my blog note which identifies this as the effect of a fix to a bug (9477688) in earlier versions that could cause wrong results.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis