6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 10:19 PM by SamBach RSS

Invalid username and password with OS Authentication

SamBach

Hello

I've googled and searched the forums for many hours and still can't find an answer as to why OS Authentication isn't working with SQL Dev 4.0.1 (and 4.0.0).

Here are some of the combinations I have tried (all using Thick/OCI connection ticked and TNS or Basic connections)

-- Doesn't work (invalid username/password)

- Windows XP

- 12.1 Instant client

- SQL Dev 4.0.1 (or 4.0.0)

- Windows XP

- 11.2.x.x Full client

- SQL Dev 3.2.2

- Windows 7 (x64)

- 11.2.x.x Full client / 11.1.x.x Full client / 12.1 (instant)

- SQL Dev 4.0.1 / 4.0.0

-- Works on some machines

- Windows XP

- 11.1.x.x Full client

- SQL Dev 3.2.2

We want to roll out SQL Developer as a standard tool across our department but this is a major road block for us as we use OS Auth everywhere. I don't think I can progress this anymore on my own and would appreciate any help in diagnosing the issue.

Regards

Sam B

• 1. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication
          Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

The biggest change from 3.2 to 4.0 is the jdbc driver got upgrade to 11.2.0.3 from like 11.2.0.1.

Your SQL Dev 3.2.2 on XP with 11.2.x.x Full client - what are the last 2 digits - they can be important.

Also, I don't want your rollout to be delayed, I would advise opening an SR with MOS for better response time/help here.

• 2. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication

Ok, because I was curious, and because I hadn't set this up before in 12c Multitenant...

SQL Developer 4.0.1

11.2.0.4 Instant Client

Windows 7

Oracle Enterprise Linux, 12c PDB

ops$jdsmith - connects as an os authenticated account, just fine

So it's working, for me at least.

• 3. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication
              SamBach

Thanks for the reply Jeff, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, weekend starts a bit earlier for us.

The client version was 11.2.0.3. in at least one of the cases where it was not working (invalid username/password).

I'm concerned there is something in my companies SOE that is causing this issue. I'm also confused as to why this problem seems to only affect my organization...

Is there a way for us to debug/diagnose this? Perhaps some low level tracing?

I'm happy to discuss this here unless you think an SR is required.

• 4. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication

For the machine where 'it works on some machines' - have you also tried it with SQL*Plus?

That is, can you connect using OS Authentication from SQL*Plus on all of these machines and it's just SQL Developer that is surfacing the issue?

Also, we don't need an Oracle client to do the OS Authenticated connections, try connecting w/o turning on the OCI/Thick setting in the Advanced preferences dialog.

• 5. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication
                  SamBach

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

1.For the machine where 'it works on some machines' - have you also tried it with SQL*Plus?

That is, can you connect using OS Authentication from SQL*Plus on all of these machines and it's just SQL Developer that is surfacing the issue?

2. Also, we don't need an Oracle client to do the OS Authenticated connections, try connecting w/o turning on the OCI/Thick setting in the Advanced preferences dialog.

1. Yes. Always checked with SQL*Plus

2. I did not know that. Here are the results without using the Oracle client (i.e. OCI/Thick not ticked) on my machine (x86, Windows XP):

SQL Developer 3.2.20.09 - Works with OS Auth connections

SQL Developer 4.0.1.14 - Does not work with OS Auth: Status : Failure -Test failed: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

I'm very surprised that even 3.2.2 worked without using the Oracle client as this has not been the case for us in the past. Is there a way for us to see what "connect command" is being sent by SQL Developer. I'm thinking we can perhaps compare the non-working versions to the working versions?

Regards

• 6. Re: Invalid username and password with OS Authentication
                    SamBach

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue. From my search on the web it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.