0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 8:25 AM by user3261506

solved - how to run siebel dedicated client in a IE sandbox

user3261506

Hello everybody,

In a previous thread I was asking for a solution to run siebel without OpenUI, when IE11 is installed on windows.

Now we solved the problem (to be honest I was not part of the developer team that solved it, but I still want to share the information with you, as there might be others having the same issue) using VMWare's ThinApp.

ThinApp is used to run virtualized applications on Windows. Please google for more information as I am not an expert or visit VMware ThinApp: Agentless Application Virtualization for Easier Migration | United States

Here is some information of our environment:

IE Version xxx is installed in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer (This is set as default browser in our environment.)

Siebel Client is installed in C:\Program Files\App\SIA\Client

Siebel Tools is installed in C:\Program Files\App\SIA\Tools

With ThinApp we have IE8 installed in C:\APP\SIA\Client_81110\ZKBSiebelApps Thinapp_V2

ThinApp contains InternetExplorer8.exe, Cmd.exe and the registry for IE8.

Here is how we tried to start the siebel dedicated client with IE8 in the previous thread --- and failed:

So far so good. We can start IEvX or IEv8 depending on witch IE.exe we use.

Because Siebel allways uses windows default browser to start the client, starting the cient failed because the default browser in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer was not IE8. However Siebel.exe can be launched with \b parameter witch is used to pass the browser in witch the siebel client should be started.

So we launched siebel.exe using "\b C:\APP\SIA\Client_81110\ZKBSiebelApps Thinapp_V2\InternetExplorer8.exe" Due to a product defect this failes with a connection error. In fact we found out, that it only works if there is no instance of internet explorere.exe running. So if you close all browsers \b parameter works, otherwise it failes.

Here is how we solved this issue:

Launch IE8 from ThinApp folder. Set it as the default browser. Because ThinApp has its own registry. IE8 will only be set as default browser for ThinApp. Windows still uses IE Version xxx as default browser.

All you need to do now is to launch siebel.exe using the cmd.exe installed within ThinApp. If you do so ThinApp's registry will be used to determine the default browser, witch is IE8 for ThinApp.

You can start siebel.exe with a bat-file containing the following  2 lines (/k is just use for debugging).

cd /D "C:\Program Files\APP\SIA\Client_81110\BIN"

"C:\APP\SIA\Client_81110\ZKBSiebelApps Thinapp_V2\cmd.exe" /k ""C:\Program Files\APP\SIA\Client_81110\bin\siebel.exe" /c "C:\Program Files\APP\SIA\Client_81110\bin\deu\connect_eng1.cfg" /u USR /p PWD /d ServerDataSrc"

This is realy just a high level description but should give you some hints if you have the same issue. As I mentioned ThinApp was configured by another developer team, but I am sure that you can get all information you need from the VMWare homepage.

Kind Regards and good luck

Claudio