5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2014 9:53 PM by NuhaArif RSS

Multiple conditions

NuhaArif

i have a table with job statuses as open or close , if i pass the value open , only those records with status as open will be filtered, similarly when i choose close only records of job_status with close will be filtered, i can do this by passing open or close as parameters but when i dont pass any values , then all the records of ot_job_stat needs to be displayed but when i am adding multiple conditions to the above query , its not giving me correct results.Like i added date column to the table and i want to filter data based on multiple ranges like within the time span what job_types i want , but the query is yielding wrong results.

{code}

CREATE TABLE OT_JOB_STAT ( JOB_NO VARCHAR2(12),JOB_STATUS VARCHAR2(12),JOB_EQUIP VARCHAR2(12),JOB_TYPE VARCHAR2(12),JOB_DATE DATE);

insert into ot_job_stat ( JOB_NO ,JOB_STATUS ,JOB_EQUIP ,JOB_TYPE,JOB_DATE ) values ('0001','Open','CNC1','Prev',TO_DATE('01/01/2014'));

insert into ot_job_stat ( JOB_NO ,JOB_STATUS ,JOB_EQUIP ,JOB_TYPE , JOB_DATE ) values ('0002','Close','CNC1','Brk',TO_DATE('01/01/2014'));

insert into ot_job_stat ( JOB_NO ,JOB_STATUS ,JOB_EQUIP ,JOB_TYPE , JOB_DATE ) values ('0003','Close','CNC2','Prev',TO_DATE('02/02/2014'));

select * from ot_job_stat

WHERE

JOB_DATE between TO_DATE(:F_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR') AND TO_DATE(:T_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR')

and job_type in :job_type or :job_type is null 

--I am passing job_type as null and :F_JOB_DT = '01/01/2014' AND :T_JOB_DT = '01/01/2014'

--its getting me all the three records , but actually i dont want the record of 02/02/2014.

--result is

JOB_NO JOB_STATUS JOB_EQUIP JOB_TYPE JOB_DATE

0002        Close                CNC1           Brk          1/1/2014

0003        Close                 CNC2          Prev         2/2/2014

0001         Open                 CNC1          Prev         1/1/2014

{/code}

• 2. Re: Multiple conditions
          Partha Sarathy S

You mean this?

SELECT * FROM OT_JOB_STAT

WHERE (UPPER(JOB_STATUS)= :STATUS

OR (:STATUS IS NULL AND 1=1))

AND JOB_DATE between TO_DATE(:F_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR') AND TO_DATE(:T_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR');

• 3. Re: Multiple conditions
            Turion

select * from ot_job_stat

WHERE (  JOB_DATE between TO_DATE(:F_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR') AND TO_DATE(:T_JOB_DT,'DD/MM/RRRR')

and job_type in :job_type )

or (:job_type is null)

• 4. Re: Multiple conditions
              Frank Kulash

Hi,

If you need to use both AND and OR in a condition, always use parentheses to separate them, such that, outside of the parentheses, all the conjunctions are the same, either all ANDs or all ORs.  Partha did this correctly in reply #2, above.  You don't need any condition like "1 = 1", however, you can just say:

SELECT  *

FROM    OT_JOB_STAT

WHERE   (    :STATUS  = UPPER (JOB_STATUS)

OR   :STATUS  IS NULL

)

AND     JOB_DATE  between  TO_DATE (:F_JOB_DT, 'DD/MM/YYYY')

AND      TO_DATE (:T_JOB_DT, 'DD/MM/YYYY')

;

Avoid 'RRRR' format; it invites 2-digit years, and 2-digit years invite trouble.

What if :f_job_dt or :t_job_date is NULL? Perhaps you want something like:

SELECT  *

FROM    OT_JOB_STAT

WHERE   (    :STATUS  = UPPER (JOB_STATUS)

OR   :STATUS  IS NULL

)

AND     (    JOB_DATE   >= TO_DATE (:F_JOB_DT, 'DD/MM/YYYY')

OR   :F_JOB_DT  IS NULL

)

AND     (    JOB_DATE   <= TO_DATE (:T_JOB_DT, 'DD/MM/YYYY')

OR   :T_JOB_DT  IS NULL

)

;

Notice how all the conjunctions outside of parentheses are AND.  Whenever OR is used, it is inside parentheses, separated from the ANDs.

• 5. Re: Multiple conditions
                NuhaArif

thanks all of you , i think its all about conditional predicates, the order of execution i believe.