2 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2014 3:38 AM by Christian Erlinger RSS

Debughost dialog doesn't show up

Christian Erlinger

Hello,

I have a somehow strange behaviour with the debugger of the latest SQL Developer.

Following Setup:

- SQL Developer 4.0.1.14 (Build Main 14.48) 64bit (the bundled Version with JDK 1.7u45)

- Windows7 Professional SP1 64bit

- Oracle Database 10.2.0.5 64bit on Windows with the last CPU bundle applied

For testing purposes I have created a small package to debug:

create or replace PACKAGE DEBUGTESTPACK AS 
        procedure debugme;
      END DEBUGTESTPACK;

create or replace PACKAGE BODY DEBUGTESTPACK AS
        procedure debugme AS
          n number;
        BEGIN
          n := 3;
          n := 5;
        END debugme;
      END DEBUGTESTPACK;

I have installed VirtualBox and VMWare player, so I used the setting "Prompt for debugger host for database debugging" under tools => preferences => debugger.

If I try to debug the above package SQL Developer doesn't show me the dialog where I am supposed to enter the IP address of my Machine but simply adds a process under the processes window with the IP address of the (coincidentally I guess) correct adapter, but does nothing whatsoever. I don't get any output in the messages window. If I uncheck the "Prompt for debugger...." checkbox in the settings the behaviour is exactly the same. As a test I even disabled all the Virtual network adapters to no avail.

The very same works against DB 11.2.0.3, and interestingly enough against a 10.2.0.5 32bit Linux Database running on my VirtualBox (the patchlevel between the two 10gR2 databases is different though; not sure which patches I applied to the 10gR2 linux database, I can take a look if needed); the dialog shows up as expected, and if I enter the correct IP I am able to debug.

If I try to debug the very same procedure with SQL Developer 3.2.2.09 on the first database it works, so I guess this shouldn't be any network configuration / grant issue.

any hints?

thanks and regards,

Christian

• 1. Re: Debughost dialog doesn't show up
          Keith Hollins

Any chance of an answer to this from Oracle SQL Developer developers?

I can get the above code to work ok (once I've saved the spec and body to debugtestpack.pks and debugtestpack.pkb), though my db is 11.2.0.4.0 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

But clearly the debugger needs some work and the following may be related to the above issue:

1. When I set a breakpoint and hit Resume, the debugger doesn't stop at the breakpoint - it just zooms past to the end.
          2. The Step Into button doesn't work - I added an internal routine to Christian's code:

create or replace PACKAGE BODY DEBUGTESTPACK AS

procedure step_into_test ( x in out number ) AS

BEGIN

x := sysdate - DATE '2014-03-24';

END step_into_test;

procedure debugme AS

n number;

BEGIN

n := 3;

n := 5;

step_into_test (n);

END debugme;

END DEBUGTESTPACK;

Keith H. London UK.

• 2. Re: Debughost dialog doesn't show up
            Christian Erlinger

Just retried with the latest Version (4.0.2.15.21) on JDK 1.7u55 64bit; the problem still persists.

cheers