9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 8:07 AM by EdStevens RSS

Can't mount database in one copy of VM

14c14bbe-362c-4781-821c-3c8ffbf5a444

Hi,

I've set up Oracle Linux 6 in VirtualBox and installed a developer license of Database 11gR2 on it. After I got it all configured and working properly, I copied the VM to other members of my team.

Everything is working fine in the VM on each of my teammates' dev machines except for one. On one machine, while trying to startup the database in sql*plus, I get the following errors:

ORA-24324: service handle not initialized

ORA-24323: value not allowed

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

The second time I try to startup the database I get these errors:

ORA-24324: service handle not initialized

ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist

I've done a lot of googling and these errors seem to usually be caused by problems with the environment variables or the listener.ora/tnsnames.ora files. But this VM is an exact image of the ones on the other computers, and it's working on all of the other computers. The only thing that's different from one copy to the next are the MAC addresses and host names, but I've changed the .ora files appropriately for that.

I've checked the settings in VirtualBox and they are identical across all machines. All I can think of is that it's something different in the host environment (Windows 7 Pro) that is running the VM, but I have no idea what about the host environment could be causing these specific errors.

Any suggestions?