6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 9:24 PM by Tom Petrus

How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.

Sruthi Tamiri

Hi Team,

In our existing application we had created Jquery concept i.,e autocomplete functionality
        How this works currently is
          - Selects from drop down list.
          - If enter manually it throws errows

The above scenerio i have created in apex.oracle.com and requires help on this.
      Please find deatils below to logon in apex.oracle.com

WorkSpace- apex_demo_version
      username-seshutamiri@yahoo.co.in
      pwd-sruthitamiri
      App Id#19674 [AutoComplete]

Currently we are uisng
      Apex-3.0.1.00.08
      Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bi
      Toad for oracle-9.6.1.1
      IE-Versio# 7
      Mozilla#27.0.1 [version]

The following JS & CSS files were used and also same were used in demo version as well

1. jquery-ui-1.8.20.custom.min.js
      2. jquery-ui-1.8.21.custom.js
      3. jquery-1.7.2.min.js
      4. jquery-ui-1.8.20.custom.css
      5. jquery-ui-1.8.21.custom.css

Requirement Problem#

The problem with Autocomplete users infomred us, but we are unable to trace it how we can debug the things,
      much apperciated if any one help me by making changes to my application in order to avoid below scenrios

1. Some times the autocomplted gets crashed [sometimes when I was attempting to delete some text that I had typed in and then the system seemed to crash.
      2. Form freezes and closes (“crashes”) on "AutoComplte" entry

Regrads,

Sruthitamiri!!

• 1. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
          Sruthi Tamiri

Hi All,

Can some one help me on this request please!! (or) in other words jquery autocomplete hangs browser

Regards,

Sruthitamiri!!

• 2. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
            Sruthi Tamiri

Hi All,

Did some one got chance to look into this, or please let me know weather my question is in understand or not. Eager wiating for soultion for this!!

Regards,

Sruthitamiri!!

• 3. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
              Tom Petrus

You're on an old, old version of apex, and not many (if any) will be able to really look into this. Couple that with IE7, ouch.

Can you however clarify what you mean by "the system crashes". Is "the system" the browser you are referring to?

Do you experience this problem also in Firefox?

What is the "form freeze"? Your browser becoming unresponsive?

Are there any errors you receive in javascript? Did you check the console log?

When I try this in your demo app, I'm not getting errors. Are there any steps to follow to reproduce a situation?

You are using htmlDb_Get.get though for acquiring data. This could be a place where things run foul. It is a synchronous request, and thus will lock up the browser in wait for a return, causing unresponsiveness. If you experience issues on your FF aswell, I strongly recommend using the Firebug plugin to inspect the requests being made. It could perhaps help in identifying occassions where it is stuck waiting for a response.

• 4. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
                Sruthi Tamiri

Hi Tom, Thanks for your inputs

1. Yes, currently team is uisng holder version and we are in process of upgradtaion for all front end and others which takes some time.

2. I mean browser crashes but not system

3. User are expereniced in both in IE and Firefox.

4. Yes form freeze means, browser becoming unresponsive.

5. The problem is we are trying to reprodcue same from our end, but we are not able to trace the things from our end.

6. This is faced by users and hence struggling to find how we can reporduce the things.

7. It would be great if you can make changes to existing code where exactly we have to add console things, and how we can check the things from our end.

8. So that we can try in same way in our existing application to check what error we are facing.

Regards,

Sruthitamiri!!

• 5. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
                  Sruthi Tamiri

Hi Tom,

After doing some anlayis how we can use console, i had tried this way, can you suggest me where i had added is correct one or not

This below mention source code exists in my example

console.log('READY');

console.log('Event: autocomplete');

var text = $("#P1_ENG_LEAD").val();

console.log('Contents of country %s',text);

$.ajax({

url: "test.html",

timeout: 3000,

error: function(){

alert("failed time");

},

success: function(){

alert("good time");

}

});

Regards,

Sruthitamiri!!

• 6. Re: How we can identify Autocomplete gets crash and resolve the same.
                    Tom Petrus

It's indeed good to add console.log calls in those various places. This should allow you to track what is going on.

It might still be a good idea to also use the console tab in a tool like Firebug in your Firefox to inspect your ajax calls as it allows you to inspect response headers.

Your piece of code you posted is not using jquery ajax instead of the htmlDb_get code I saw in your sample code. This is good as it is asynchronous and thus will not lock up your browser - that should help in curing some unresponsiveness.

Be aware though that your calls may not necessarily time out, although that is a possibility. It could just as well return an error page, which your code handling may not be able to deal with and error out further on. It is for this reason that inspecting the ajax calls can help with.

Also, in IE8 it is so that using console.log calls without developer tools open will error out the javascript. I don't have IE7 nor can't tell what it will do, but it might error out aswell without the developer tools (does ie7 have dev tools? No clue). Use IE7 to verify your solution once you think it runs fine in FF - but remove the console.log ones in your production code!