3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 6:45 AM by Tom321

How to install Grid Infrastructure to an existing database which has already been patched to 11.2.0.3.9?

I'm using Oracle database 11.2.0.3.9 enterprise edition on Oracle Linux 6.5.   Now, I want to use ASM.  

1. Install Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.3 by selecting the option Configure Grid Infrastructure for a Standalone Server
      2. Patch the Grid Infrastructure to 11.2.0.3.9

I'm not sure how to do #2 since the database has already been patched.  I read the Doc ID 1494646.1 but I'm not to sure whether I should follow Case 3.1.1 (Patching GI Home Alone/Non-Shared GI Home/ACFS File System Is Not Configured) or Case 4 (Patching Oracle Restart Home).   What is the difference between GI Home and Oracle Restart Home?

• 1. Re: How to install Grid Infrastructure to an existing database which has already been patched to 11.2.0.3.9?
          Tom321

Hi,

GI Home is for RAC only and Oracle Restart is the standalone version, which you want to use.

It does not matter that you have already patched the DBs. Grid and DB are separate homes, even if on the same os user. They get patched separately. When you set your environment properly  for ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME,PATH,..., (or better have separate os users) you can check with "opatch lsinventory" that you have selected the right home and what patches are installed in it.

You should use case 4, which will patch the restart home and check and then ignore the db home, as it already has the patches.

Alternatively patch only the restart home manually:

Readme - Patch Installation and Deinstallation For 11.2.0.3.x GI PSU [ID 1494646.1]

That note contains a section for manual patch apply, which can be done selectively.

Regards

Thomas

• 2. Re: How to install Grid Infrastructure to an existing database which has already been patched to 11.2.0.3.9?

Hi Thomas,

My confusion is in the Table 2 of the doc Patch Installation and Deinstallation For 11.2.0.3.x GI PSU [ID 1494646.1].   In that table, it has the configuration GI Home in conjunction with RAC, RACOne, or Single Instance home.   What does GI Home in conjunction with Single Instance home mean?  Originally, I interpreted that configuration same as the configuration Oracle Restart Home.  However, I believe it actually means using Oracle Clusterware for Single Instance Oracle Database.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to install Grid Infrastructure to an existing database which has already been patched to 11.2.0.3.9?
              Tom321

"However, I believe it actually means using Oracle Clusterware for Single Instance Oracle Database."

Yes that's the meaning of it. You can create "normal" database instances on top of a rac.

In your case i would recommend to use opatch auto and select the grid home specifically like this:

/oracle/11.2.0/grid/OPatch/opatch auto /install/psu5 -oh /oracle/11.2.0/grid -ocmrf /oracle/11.2.0/grid/OPatch/ocm/bin/ocm.rsp

That will patch only the grid home and let the db home alone. Or follow section 5 of the note for manual patch apply for the grid home, that works also fine.

Regards

Thomas