1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 11:06 AM by BPeaslandDBA RSS

ORA-16812 shows up permanently after standby DB instances reboot

Ahmed Adel-Oracle

Data Guard is running without problems.
      After both standby DBs had been rebooted we see saw following error on the primary DB:
      DGMGRL> show configuration
      Warning: ORA-16812: log apply service not running on apply instance recorded by the broker
      Configuration Status:
      WARNING

Data Guard is still working OK.
      This warning shows up everytime you call show configuration over a time period of 22 hours
      until I cleared the warning like this:
      I checked ORACLE documentation and found a way to clear this warning:
      DGMGRL> enable configuration
      Enabled.

After this the warning disappeared:
      Configuration Status:
      SUCCESS

My questions are:
      1) Is this the expected behaviour ?
          This means: do I have to enable the configuration manually after a reboot of standby DBs ?

2) Is it safe to enter the "enable configuration" every time I see this warning ?
          One of our customer faced the same issue and I would like to tell him to use this command
          to clear the warning on his system.

3) Could there exist an underlying problem which we might have overlooked ?
          Or is it just a known bug that DGMGRL did not clear the warning after reboot completed ?

Please answer question 2) first so I can answer to our customer.

• 1. Re: ORA-16812 shows up permanently after standby DB instances reboot
          BPeaslandDBA

> 1) Is this the expected behaviour ?

No, it is not. I never have to do this.

> 2) Is it safe to enter the "enable configuration" every time I see this warning ?

Yes. Doing so won't cause any harm.

> 3) Could there exist an underlying problem which we might have overlooked ?

Yes. But then I think this answer is obvious since I replied "No" to question 1. I would start by looking in $DIAGNOSTIC_DEST/diag/rdbms/admin/db_name/instance_name/trace for the DG Broker log file (named drcinstance_name.log). Look to see if there are clues as to they the broker config was disabled around the time of shutdown or startup.

I would also consider filing a SR with Oracle Support on the issue.

Cheers,

Brian