1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 2:12 PM by Mimi Miami

ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby

Mimi Miami

I had to relocate all files on my 11.2 physical standby database to a new mount point (nothing changed on the primary).  I cancelled managed recovery on the standby and shutdown the standby, then copied the datafiles, controlfile, ORLs, and SRLs to their new location.  After that, I mounted the standby, set standby_file_management=MANUAL and did a "alter database rename file" for all files; however, I saw this error repeatedly for all files:

Example:

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo06.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo06.

log'...

I did this:

select name from v$datafile;

select name from v$tempfile;

select member from v$logfile;

All the datafiles and tempfiles were showing in the new correct location as well as all the ORLs and SRLs except one SRL file, which was still showing in its old location.  I then did:

select * from v$standby_log and that one particular SRL showed ACTIVE.  I started managed recovery and switched logfiles on the primary.  I then shutdown the standby again and started it up and this time I was able to rename that one SRL that I couldn't rename before (probably due to the log switch).

Why am I seeing the ORA-1511 errors even though the rename worked?  Why did the one SRL rename not work?  What is the correct way to do this?

Also, I switched log files a bunch of times on the primary and I noticed the only two out of six SRLs were ever being used.  Aren't they supposed to rotate in circular fashion instead of switching back and forth between only two of the six SRLs?

• 1. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
          BPeaslandDBA

Example:

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo06.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo06.

log'...

Unfortunately, this is not enough to know why the rename did not work. There should have been at least one other error message indicating the root cause of the problem. This error is just saying that the rename didn't work. Can you find the entire error message stack? I wouldn't look at the alert log for current entries, rather I would look at the alert log at the point in time when I did the rename.

Also, I switched log files a bunch of times on the primary and I noticed the only two out of six SRLs were ever being used.  Aren't they supposed to rotate in circular fashion instead of switching back and forth between only two of the six SRLs?

No. SRL's are not used in circular fashion like ORL's. When a SRL is needed, the first available one is used.

Cheers,
          Brian

• 2. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
            Mimi Miami

Here's a snippet of the errors in the alert log when I did the rename.  Please note, the rename did work despite the errors, except for one SRL.:

Physical Standby Database mounted.

Lost write protection disabled

Thu Mar 13 13:44:26 2014

ARC1 started with pid=22, OS id=28151

ARC2 started with pid=23, OS id=28153

ARC3 started with pid=24, OS id=28155

ARC1: Archival started

ARC2: Archival started

ARC1: Becoming the 'no FAL' ARCH

ARC2: Becoming the heartbeat ARCH

ARC2: Becoming the active heartbeat ARCH

Completed: alter database mount

ARC3: Archival started

ARC0: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES COMPLETE

Thu Mar 13 13:44:33 2014

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo06.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo06.log'

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo05.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo05.log'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo05.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo05.

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo04.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo04.log'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo04.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo04.

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo03.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo03.log'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo03.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo03.

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo02.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo02.log'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo02.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo02.

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo01.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo01.log'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo01.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo01.

log'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby7.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby7.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby7.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby7.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby8.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby8.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby8.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/stand

by8.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby9.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby9.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby9.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby9.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby10.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby10.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby10.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby10.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby11.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby11.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby11.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby11.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby12.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby12.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby12.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby12.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby13.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby13.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/standby13.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/standby13.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/system01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/system01.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/system01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/syste

m01.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/sysaux01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/sysaux01.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/sysaux01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/sysau

x01.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/undotbs01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/undotbs01.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/undotbs01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/undo

tbs01.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users01.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

1.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users02.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users02.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users02.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

2.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users03.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users03.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users03.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

3.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users04.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users04.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users04.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

4.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users05.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users05.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users05.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

5.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users06.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users06.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users06.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

6.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users07.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users07.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users07.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users0

7.dbf'...

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users08.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users08.dbf'

Completed: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/users08.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/users08.dbf'

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/temp01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/temp01.dbf'

ORA-1511 signalled during: alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/temp01.dbf' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/temp01.

dbf'...

Thu Mar 13 13:46:31 2014

alter database recover automatic managed standby database using current logfile disconnect from session

Attempt to start background Managed Standby Recovery process (mydb)

Thu Mar 13 13:46:31 2014

MRP0 started with pid=25, OS id=28169

MRP0: Background Managed Standby Recovery process started (mydb)

started logmerger process

Thu Mar 13 13:46:37 2014

Managed Standby Recovery starting Real Time Apply

Parallel Media Recovery started with 32 slaves

Waiting for all non-current ORLs to be archived...

All non-current ORLs have been archived.

• 3. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
              mseberg

If you compare

SELECT NAME FROM V$DATAFILE;

to say users02.dbf to they say the same location?

Best Regards

mseberg

• 4. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                Mimi Miami

The datafiles are all showing in the correct location on /g03 as well as the tempfile and all the ORLs and SRLs except one, standby8.dbf:

SQL> select name from v$datafile;

NAME

-----------------------------------

/g03/oradata/mydb/system01.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/sysaux01.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/undotbs01.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users01.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users02.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users03.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users04.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users05.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users06.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users07.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/users08.dbf

SQL> select name from v$tempfile;

NAME

------------------------------------

/g03/oradata/mydb/temp01.dbf

SQL> select member from v$logfile;

--------------------------------

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo06.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo05.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo04.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo03.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo02.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/redo01.log

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby7.dbf

/g06/oradata/mydb/standby8.dbf  <-- this has since been renamed to reflect the correct location after another shutdown/log switch/startup/rename, but this is what it first looked like after my initial rename

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby9.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby10.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby11.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby12.dbf

/g03/oradata/mydb/standby13.dbf

• 5. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                  mseberg

When you did the rename what was the setting of STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT on the standby? And did you change this and change it back after the renames?

Best Regards

mseberg

• 6. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                    Mimi Miami

The setting for STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT was set to MANUAL before the renames and then I changed it back to AUTO after I was finished.

• 7. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                      mseberg

Sorry, I don't see the cause of the issue.

My notes say shutdown the standby, start it mount and do the rename with  STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT set to manual the return to AUTO when complete.

Near as I can see you did everything right.

Best Regards

mseberg

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                        Mimi Miami

I tried it again on another database and got the same results.  I was so busy looking at the alert log that I missed what was right in front of me in the SQLPlus screen (ORA-1516 followed by the ORA-1511):

Example:

alter database rename file '/g06/oradata/mydb/redo11.log' to '/g03/oradata/mydb/redo11.log'

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files

ORA-01516: nonexistent log file, data file, or temporary file

"/g06/oradata/mydb/redo11.log"

But the files DID exist there and the rename was successful!  Strange.  Can't seem to figure this one out.

One last question, why can't I rename all the standby redo log files when I mount the standby?  Why did only one not allow me to rename it?  I didn't think it would be ACTIVE until after I started the managed recovery process.

• 9. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                          BPeaslandDBA

The ORA-1516 is the other message I was looking for. As that message states...the log file does not exist. Or...what the message does not state...is that Oracle cannot see the file. Maybe its a permissions issue?

At this point, since the other files seem ok and it is just this one SRL, why not drop it and recreate it?

Cheers,

Brian

• 10. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                            jgarry

Just to be sure: The files existed there before you did the rename? 

• 11. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                              Mimi Miami

Hmm.  Still it doesn't make sense why Oracle cannot see the files yet it renamed them anyways.  I checked the permissions on the directories and file structure of both old and new locations and they are identical. 

Instead of dropping and recreating the SRL, I just switched logfiles on the primary, shutdown the standby, mounted the standby, and then was able to rename the SRL (since it was no longer the active SRL). 

Thanks for all your help, Brian. 

• 12. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                                mseberg

Reviewing everything you have posted I don't see why you cannot rename SRL.

Here's my take on your other SRL question.

Standby redo logs are populated with redo information as fast as the primary redo logs so the loss of data in the event of a failover is minimized because you have not waiting for the redo log to be archived and shipped to the standby. So you may have a redo information rate that low enough it only uses  a few of them.

Best Regards

mseberg

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                                  Mimi Miami

I must be doing something wrong because I relocated all files for three different physical standby databases today and got the same error on all three of them.  I even checked for the possibility of junk characters in the file names and lengths of filenames all matched exactly with the primary.  I just still don't understand how I could be seeing the ORA-1511 and ORA-1516 error despite the fact that the rename was sucessful (for all but one!).

• 14. Re: ORA-1511 when relocating all files on physical standby
                                    Shivananda Rao

Hello,

ORA-01516: nonexistent log file, data file, or temporary file "string"

Did you check the ownership and permissions for the files ?

Regards,

Shivananda

1 2 Previous Next