7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 1:07 AM by Smohib RSS

online Oracle database

arizona9952

Hi, Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to a free online Oracle database? I'm just looking to create a few small tables and practice some SQL. I don't want to install the express edition at the moment.

• 1. Re: online Oracle database
          Hoek

You can download all Oracle stuff you want for free as long as it is for educational reasons, which seems to apply to you.

Just create your own 'lab', and do whatever you want to do with it.

• 2. Re: online Oracle database
            arizona9952

Thanks Hoek, but I'm looking for an online database. One which no installatoin is required.

• 3. Re: online Oracle database
              Hoek

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know.

Why would I look for that, when I can have all the goodies for free and learn?

• 4. Re: online Oracle database
                EdStevens

Hoek wrote:

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know.

Why would I look for that, when I can have all the goodies for free and learn?

And (to the OP) on the flip side, why would "I" (anyone) put up an oracle database and expose it to the internet, just so every Tom, D***, Harry, and Mayhem could connect  and "practice"?

--- Edit .... Amazing what I had to do to get past the spam filter.  And yet the 'bot from a certain city in a certain south Asian country can flood this forum daily with information about, uh, 'business women".

• 5. Re: online Oracle database
                  oscrub

If you're just looking to use the SQL side and not have need to access the physical server, have you looked into using Oracle on Amazon RDS? You can spin up an Oracle instance and use it for free (within limits) for 12 months.

aws.amazon.com/rds/free/

• 6. Re: online Oracle database
                    Aman....

arizona9952 wrote:

Hi, Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to a free online Oracle database? I'm just looking to create a few small tables and practice some SQL. I don't want to install the express edition at the moment.

There is no such free hosting for playing around for oracle database AFAIK. Still, if all what you want to do is to create tables, fire bunch of sql's you may want to use Application Express at http://apex.oracle.com . APEX is a development platform based on oracle database and on this site, once you get a namespace , you can practice creating tables etc within the APEX application that you would be creating. That said, there is nothing so tough about installing Oracle especially when you are doing it on Windows. If I would be you, I would actually try to learn the installation of the database as well.

HTH

Aman....

• 7. Re: online Oracle database
                      Smohib

you can also check

SQLZOO  & you have options to select "oracle/MySQL & many other types of databases (on left hand of webpage)

Hope it helps