2 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2014 1:00 PM by TheVenkster RSS

ODBC test connection success but MSAccess throws ORA-12154

user3684756

My system details are,

OS - Windows 7 - 64 bit

MS-Office 2010 - 32 bit (Installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office")

Oracle server/client 10.2 (Installed in "C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1")

I can "successfully" create the ODBC connection to my oracle database via "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" (As my MS-Access in 32 bit, i need to use 32 bit ODBC component).

But, when I try to create/use the same in MSAccess -> External Data -> ODBC Database, I am getting the error "ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified".

After spending couple of hours with debugging utilities, found the issue is in MS-Office installation path. The special character in the path "(x86)" is causing ORA-12154 error.

To ensure the same; I installed the Toad in "Program Files (x86)" folder, and tried connecting the same database. As expected, toad also gave ORA-12154 error (Which was working well in "C:\Toad").

Can you please let me know, is there a way/work around, we can make MSAccess 32 bit-> ODBC 32 -> Oracle 10.2 connectivity work in Windows 64 bit OS?

We cannot ask the end users to change the installation location of their MS Office from "Program Files (x86)".

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,