1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 3:56 PM by fac586

Size limit on a tabular form

Cashy

Hi Guys, I am having a problem with a tabular form. 

The query for the form returns approximately 3000 rows which is used for a factory production plan.

When the user modifies any fields in the form, rather than the form submitting those changes to the database, a copy of that dataset is created with a new version number.

I have used the following methodology toget the dataset into a PLSQL procedure which does the background processing and row creations for each new dataset created.   

xxmel_pvs_pkg.run_simulator(p_plan      => apex_application.g_f01(i)                             

,p_week      => apex_application.g_f04(i)                             

,p_year      => apex_application.g_f03(i)                             

,p_job      => apex_application.g_f06(i)                             

,p_prod      => apex_application.g_f05(i)                             

,p_model    => apex_application.g_f07(i)                             

,p_qty      => apex_application.g_f08(i)                             

,p_work_unit => apex_application.g_f09(i)                             

,p_ssd      => apex_application.g_f11(i)                             

,p_run_order => apex_application.g_f17(i)                             

,p_yield    => apex_application.g_f10(i)                             

,p_sim      => v_next_sim_no  );

When the dataset is quite small i.e. less than 1000 rows it takes a little of time but still works quite well.

When the dataset is larger i.e. around 3k rows, the page falls over and I am getting the following error (in Firefox v27.0.1)

the connection was reset   "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.   

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.   

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.   

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to    access the Web."

I am getting a similar error with IE9 I am using APEX v4.0.

Any advice would be very appreciated

Thanks Chris

• 1. Re: Size limit on a tabular form
          fac586

Cashy wrote:

Hi Guys, I am having a problem with a tabular form. 

The query for the form returns approximately 3000 rows which is used for a factory production plan.

When the user modifies any fields in the form, rather than the form submitting those changes to the database, a copy of that dataset is created with a new version number.

I have used the following methodology toget the dataset into a PLSQL procedure which does the background processing and row creations for each new dataset created.   

xxmel_pvs_pkg.run_simulator(p_plan      => apex_application.g_f01(i)                             

,p_week      => apex_application.g_f04(i)                             

,p_year      => apex_application.g_f03(i)                             

,p_job      => apex_application.g_f06(i)                             

,p_prod      => apex_application.g_f05(i)                             

,p_model    => apex_application.g_f07(i)                             

,p_qty      => apex_application.g_f08(i)                             

,p_work_unit => apex_application.g_f09(i)                             

,p_ssd      => apex_application.g_f11(i)                             

,p_run_order => apex_application.g_f17(i)                             

,p_yield    => apex_application.g_f10(i)                             

,p_sim      => v_next_sim_no  );

When the dataset is quite small i.e. less than 1000 rows it takes a little of time but still works quite well.

When the dataset is larger i.e. around 3k rows, the page falls over and I am getting the following error (in Firefox v27.0.1)

the connection was reset   "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.   

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.   

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.   

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to    access the Web."

I am getting a similar error with IE9 I am using APEX v4.0.

Probably this—as in many other cases. (You neglect to mention which web server you are using.)

The root of the problem is that 3000 rows is way too much data for a single page to submit to APEX (or any other web-based tool for that matter). Why are you trying to do this with a tabular form?

1 person found this helpful