No, it's not very difficult.
if you have problems or specific question about it, this is the wrong forum. You'll have better results if you post in the Installation forum:
Thank you for all your help!
I have the Oracle client downloading thats going to take about 4 hours and have PL/SQL developer ready to install on my machine.
Is it difficult to get this up and running? I have never done an install for this before.
As with many things Oracle - it depends.
Frankly if it is taking 4 hours for the download (are you still using a 9600 baud modem? ) I'd be concerned what kind of hardware you plan to install this on.
1. What platform are you using? There is more to do (so more to go wrong) for a *nix platform than for windows
2. Have you READ the installalation documents?
3. Have you read the sections discussing the hardward and software requirements for the products?
4. Does your software and hardware MEET or EXCEED the hardware requirements for the products?
5. Does the client version you are downloading support the database versions you expect to connect to?
6. Are you aware that sql developer requires that a JDK be installed and not just a JRE?
7. Are you aware that sql developer has STRICT requirements for the version of that JDK?
8. Why are you installing PL/SQL developer instead of using Oracle's FREE sql developer? If you use sql developer you don't even need the Oracle client to work with your databases.
Is it difficult? No - not if everything goes smoothly. Yes - it things don't go smoothly and you need to deal with:
1. firewall issues that block the required port for OCI connections
2. invalid, missing, or conflicting environment variables (again depending on platform)
I'm not sure why the download is taking that long. I'm using Verizon DSL, and why the connection has been sketchy at times, it really isn't that slow. I'm downloading it from here:
I'm running this on Windows 7 and some of the things you mentioned, I wasn't aware of, that's why I'm here asking for preliminary instructions on how to do the install.