2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 12:19 PM by 0e94afc3-1214-44e8-bc44-61ec48d5ed12

What happened to keyboard macros in ver. 4.01?

0e94afc3-1214-44e8-bc44-61ec48d5ed12

I use the keyboard macro functionality (which I believe in the "keyboard shortcuts" is called "toggle record macro") to set up a shortcut so that I can "open a new line" in the editor by pressing Shift-enter.  This worked in every version of Sql Developer until now.  When I go to keyboard shortcuts and type "macro" in the search window, I get a blank screen.  Was the feature removed?  How can I get it back (short of downgrading to the last version)?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: What happened to keyboard macros in ver. 4.01?
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Good question.  The same question came up during the Early Adopter testing for 4.0:

Re: Macros still missing

No bug was ever logged, but perhaps one should be.  I will look into this a bit more before logging one.

Regards,
          Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 2. Re: What happened to keyboard macros in ver. 4.01?
            0e94afc3-1214-44e8-bc44-61ec48d5ed12

I found a back-door way to get this functionality back.

The capability wasn't actually removed, the option to set it is no longer available in the IDE interface.

The configuration file for keyboard accelerators is located here:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Sql Developer\system4.0.1.14.48\o.ide.12.1.3.2.41.140207.1351\settings.xml

In the file "settings.xml", make sure this line exists (set the keystroke to your preference, I use shift control T). Also make sure any other accelerator that uses the same keystroke is removed. I had to remove one for "set thumbnails".

<Item class="oracle.javatools.util.Pair">

<first class="java.lang.String">toggle-macro-recording</first>

<second class="oracle.ide.keyboard.KeyStrokes">

<data>

<Item class="javax.swing.KeyStroke">shift control T</Item>

</data>

</second>

</Item>

With this block of text in my settings.xml file, and every other reference to "shift control T" removed, Sql Developer now behaves the way I want it.