2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 7:16 AM by ptoye RSS

How to print Swing components in Windows?

ptoye

I'm using Java 7 in a Windows 7 system. I want to print the current JFrame to the current printer, so call print(getGraphics()); But nothing happens. I assume that this is because "print" in UNIX-based systems means "send to output stream" rather than "print to printer".

So, how do I get the frame with all its contents printed please? Searching the Swing tutorials for "print" doesn't bring up anything useful.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to print Swing cmponents in Windows?
          TPD-Opitz

ptoye wrote:

I'm using Java 7 in a Windows 7 system. I want to print the current JFrame to the current printer, so call print(getGraphics()); But nothing happens.

on which object/class did you call "print()"?

I assume that this is because "print" in UNIX-based systems means "send to output stream" rather than "print to printer".

No.

This meight be becaue "printing" usually does not mean "send a screen capture to the printer".

So, how do I get the frame with all its contents printed please? Searching the Swing tutorials for "print" doesn't bring up anything useful.

Thanks in advance.

look here

bye TPD

• 2. Re: How to print Swing cmponents in Windows?
            ptoye

Thanks - I've now found that I need to look at the Printable interface. Pity the tutorials don't seem to mention it.

[Later] I've now found the tutorial - Lesson: Printing (The Java™ Tutorials > 2D Graphics)

1) I was calling print() on the Jframe.

2) That was my point!

3) Your pointer is very helpful. [Later]... but it doesn't show the tutorial above! But it does show links to the stackoverflow site which I'm finding useful.

Peter