3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 7:54 AM by EdStevens RSS

odd result using numeric keypad in vi

EdStevens

Oracle Linux 5.6, x86-64

This may not be considered a Linux question, per se, but is close enough I'd expect someone here knows the answer.

When I am editing a file in vi, if I use the numeric keypad to enter numbers, instead of the number, I get a letter followed by a line feed.

Input of numeric keypad follows. I will be hitting, in sequence, 1, 2, 3, 4:

t

s

r

q

Actually, the 'q' was the result of pressing '1'.  Each successive number generated a line feed (pushing the previous entry down), followed by the letter you see.  To clarify

Input of numeric keypad follows. I will be hitting, in sequence, 1, 2, 3, 4:

t   < pressing '4' on the keypad, the 's' was pushed down and this 't' was entered.

s   < pressing '3' on the keypad, the 'r' was pushed down and this 's' was entered.

r   < pressing '2' on the keypad, the 'q' was pushed down and this 'r' was entered.

q   < after typing the opening line and 'enter' , I pressed '1' on the keypad, and got this 'q'

Using the numbers on the top row (above 'qwerty') behaves as one would expect. It's only when I try to use the numeric keypad do I get the above.