1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 5:06 PM by Joseph_R-Oracle RSS

collect relative path problem with java experiments

ca8ce3fe-240c-4c14-b9a7-0ea30cef55f5

Hi,

There is an error in way collect writes or analyze/er_print reads java experiments

for java experiments run with relative paths like

collect ... -j path_to_java path_to_java/bin/java -cp ../../relative/path/some.jar

experiment is being written w/o resolving relative paths. So if later I run anzlyzer or er_print from any other directory other than original, stack traces won't contain line numbers. search/map paths do not work for it (or I didn't find a way to specify it in correct way)!

jar ignorance (needless to say they're not archived either) makes java experiments very fragile and hard to work with...

am I missing something or it's just the way it's supposed to work?

• 1. Re: collect relative path problem with java experiments
          Joseph_R-Oracle

When you specify a jar file with a relative class path in the collect command and later run er_print from a different directory, er_print is not able to find the jar file references saved in the expriment - so you see the errors.

There are two solutions to the issue:

a) Run er_print in the same directory where collect was run to capture the experiment so the relative paths get resolved correctly.

b) Add the following to <dot>er<dot>rc  ( .er.rc )

addpath /FULL_PATH_AND_NAME_OF_JAR_FILE

Example:

addpath /libpath/<blah>/test.jar

If you had multiple jar files you could specify as follows:

addpath /libpath/<blah>/test.jar:/libpath/<blah>/test2.jar

Note there can be a .er.rc in two locations

a) The home directory

b) The directory from where you run the analyzer (i.e. er_print) (the current directory)

The current directory takes precedence.

This will allow er_print to pickup the jar file from the correct location and report correctly.

--

Joseph