5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 6:33 AM by carajandb RSS

Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform

SanoviTechPartner

How do I migrate my oracle db from AIX to RHEL with minimal down time.

• 1. Re: Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform
          onkar.nath

1. Make your RHEL server ready. Keep the ips same. To avoid ip conflict you can keep RHEL server out of the network.

2. create same user on RHEL server as on AIX with same default tablespace

3. Export users from AIX and import on RHEL

4. plug out AIX and plug in RHEL.

Onkar

• 2. Re: Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform
            Osama_Mustafa

Check MOS Document :-

Migration Of An Oracle Database Across OS Platforms (Generic Platform) (Doc ID 733205.1)

Master Note For Oracle Database Upgrades and Migrations (Doc ID 1152016.1)

Next Time Mention Database Version.

• 3. Re: Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform
              SanoviTechPartner

onkar,

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't understand anything from your answer, my problem is I have Oracle database which is running on AIX machine. I want to migrate the same database to a Linux Machine.

• 4. Re: Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform
                onkar.nath

Ok. What I meant was:

1. Install RHEL O/S on the new server and make sure the IP of the new server is same as old as for ex: if old server IP is 1.1.1.1 then make sure to use 1.1.1.1 IP on new server. Since IP of both machine is same, you can not add new server in the domain else you will get IP conflict issue.

2. Install Oracle software on RHEL machine and create user with default tablespace on RHEL as per AIX. For ex: on AIX if you have a user called my_app with application_user as its default tablespace then create my_app user on RHEL machine with default tablespace as application_user.

3. Now start exporting users from AIX server and ship the dump file to RHEL server where import them using impdp utility

4. Once these steps are done, remove AIX from network and add RHEL machine into the network.

You can also check the MOS document suggested by Mustafa.

Onkar

• 5. Re: Oracle DB Migration from AIX to RHEL platform
                  carajandb

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't understand anything from your answer, my problem is I have Oracle database which is running on AIX machine. I want to migrate the same database to a Linux Machine.

Your problem is the endeaness: AIX is using big-endian format vs Linux is using little-endian format. therefore the datafiles are incompatible and needed to be converted. This can be acchieved using RMAN with CROSS PLATFORM TRANSPORTABLE TABLESPACES or as already said using Data Pump Export / Import. It isn't possible to simply copy the datafiles over to the new location.

To minimize downtime you might want to use a replication solution like GoldenGate or SharePlex (from DELL) which captures all changes during the migration process and posts it to the new location as soon as your main database is available.