3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 10:45 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

Iterating through search result - 4.0.1.14

xxsawer

Earlier when you were searching through the code when you hit the beginning of the file you got information that you hit the beginning of the file and you must press UP again to search from botton. Same behavior when searching down. How can I restore this functionality in new Developer? It is very confusing when you don't know that you hit begining or end of a file and in fact seaching from hte beginning.

• 1. Re: Iterating through search result - 4.0.1.14
          xxsawer

Any news about this? Can this be fixed?

• 2. Re: Iterating through search result - 4.0.1.14

What are you referring to?

When I use control F to 'Find Text' the dialog box includes a check box for 'Wrap Around'. If I uncheck it there is no wrap around.

If that isn't what you mean then you need to provide an example and tell us the EXACT steps you are using that will reproduce your issue.

• 3. Re: Iterating through search result - 4.0.1.14
              Gary Graham-Oracle

You are seeing the new Find behavior we picked up from re-basing on JDeveloper 12c.  I doubt SQL Developer customizes it.

So for worksheets you get...

1. The classic Find...  / Ctrl-F with options for Wrap on/off,  Forward/Backward search, and Highlight All Occurrences.

2. No visual signal for nothing [more] found (if wrap off), unless you watch for movement in scroll bar or (toggled) line number gutter.

3. There is an auditory signal for nothing [more] found (if wrap off) -- use F3 to search forward or Shft-F3 to search backward.

For the code editor you get the same as for worksheets plus...

1. The code editor toolbar has a Find widget (magnifying glass icon).

2. The options may be found in the Find widget drop-down list to the left.

3. There is an auditory signal for nothing [more] found (if wrap off).

4. Unfortunately enabling / disabling wrap does not seem to take effect without closing and reopening the code editor.

I find the auditory signal very helpful, as well as the highlighting option -- especially in the code editor as it also shows a red mark in the right gutter for any occurrences and spans the entire text of the stored procedure, not just the current displayed text.

Anyway, SQL Developer prefers to consume such JDeveloper features.  We override or replace them with our own code only if there is a compelling

need.

Regards,
              Gary

SQL Developer Team