5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 5:03 AM by xxsawer RSS

Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14

xxsawer

Drag & Drop - another loss of functionality here. Check how this worked in version 3.2 and how it "works" now. Try this: open some connection, open some table and now try to open some file from hard drive by draging it over the Developer - doesn't work. Drag & Drop now works only when you release the dragged file on an editor, but not on the panel or on the window with table.

Another example. Open Developer, do not open any connection and now try to open a file by using Drag and Drop...

• 1. Re: Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14
          Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

I don't see anything lost. I can drag and drop files into SQL Developer 4.0.1

I can drag and drop a file into SQLDev with no connections - file opens

I can drag and drop a file into SQLDev with connection and table open - file opens.

Why would you drag a file onto a table? If I drop it onto the tabbed editor area, it works just fine.

• 2. Re: Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14
            xxsawer

Are you sure that you are really using 4.0.1.14 version and really opening files by using drag and drop?

Where exactly are you dropping the files? Can you post a screenshot?

Because dropping now works only when you are dropping it on editor window and nowhere else.

• 3. Re: Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14
              Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

From outside SQLDev - yes, I see that. The change, again, is due to the underlying framework. We'd probably have to go back to the JDev guys.

From the Files panel, you can pretty much drop it anywhere.

I recorded some videos here.

• 4. Re: Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14
                rp0428
                Because dropping now works only when you are dropping it on editor window and nowhere else.

Hmmm - and what is your issue with that?

Drag & Drop now works only when you release the dragged file on an editor, but not on the panel or on the window with table.

What do you expect should happen if a file is dropped on a 'window with table'?

When you open a file manually do you open it in a 'window with table' or do you open it in an 'editor window and nowhere else'.

Please post ALL of the locations, other than editor windows, where you expect files to be handled.

• 5. Re: Drag and drop doesn't work properly - another loss of functionality - 4.0.1.14
                  xxsawer

Hi Jeff,

first thanks for the videos. What software did you use to capture them? Can be useful for me when reporting some future issue.

Yes, I mean from outside of the Developer. The Files panel is not usable for me. Each project has hunderts of files and quite large folder structure. So I simply search for desired file and then open it by drag and drop and here is the loss of functionality as I mentioned. In older version you could drop it almost everywhere and it bahaved as expected. Now you need to open a worksheet. Why? Again, how can I open a file by drag and drop when working offline???

@rp0428

Hmmm - and what is your issue with that?

Check how this worked in 3.2 - it normally opened desired file - no matter where I have dropped it.

What do you expect should happen if a file is dropped on a 'window with table'?

When you open a file manually do you open it in a 'window with table' or do you open it in an 'editor window and nowhere else'.

I expect that the file will be normally opened in new editor window of course. I mentioned dropping it on a table because again, this worked fine on 3.2. When you have some table opened and active and want to open new file by drag and drop, you need now to switch to an editor window. Why? Anothere loss of productivity...

Please post ALL of the locations, other than editor windows, where you expect files to be handled.

Sorry, but for this I really don't have time, I will maybe do it later and post it here. But it is simple - everywhere where it was possible in 3.2 (on the toolbar panel, on the main window when no other window is opened, on the table window, ...)