9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2014 5:55 PM by MPL RSS

Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION

MPL

Let me start by saying I know this is an old version of forms that I *have* to run.  It works fine on XP, but If I try to run the Form Developer (32-bit, 9.0.4.0.19) on a Win7 machine, I get ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION when I open the builder.  I don't trust using the builder on Win 7 because of this error.

The weird thing has always been that Forms 6i (even older) runs just fine on Windows 7.  I need to try to get off my archaic XP machine, so am hoping there is a solution that would allow me to run Forms 10g on Windows 7.  I've seen lots of posts about this error, but no solutions.  Has anyone been able to work around it?

Thanks,

Meredith

• 1. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
          CraigB

Meredith,

Do you get this error no matter what you do in your Form or is it only certain circustances?  I run Oracle Forms 10g R2 (10.1.2.0.2) just fine on Windows 7.  I have not tried Oracle Forms 10g R1 (9.0.4.x.x) on Windows 7, but I should think it would work if the setup was performed correctly. You have to run the installer with the "Run as Administrator" option selected.  Also, you need to set Windows 7 into compatability mode "Run as Windows XP SP2/3" because Forms doesn't recognize Windows 7 as a valid version of Windows.  This is primarily because Oracle checks for specific versions of Windows rather than just checking to see if you have a "Minimum" version or greater.

In any case, we need to know how (eg: what steps you took) you installed Forms 10g R1.

Craig...

• 2. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
            MPL

This error occurs when I try to connect to a database from within the form builder.  I don't have to have a form open to make it happen.

I just noticed that it also occurs when I try to connect to a database using the 10g R1 version of SQL*Plus (I never use that one because we also have Forms6i and that version of SQL*Plus works just fine, so I didn't realize it was a problem there too).

So, I think it's an issue with connecting to the database from the 10gR1 tools on Win7, not the actual form builder tool itself.  I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

I would try a reinstall, but I don't think I have access to the install package any longer - too much turnover in that part of the company, and I think it's been lost.  I could not find a place to download it either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Meredith

• 3. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
              HamidHelal

What is your database version ?

• 4. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                MPL

It's 11.2.0.2.

The important thing to remember is that the exact same forms install (on a network drive) does not have this problem if run from a shortcut on an XP machine.  It only happens if run from a shortcut on a Win 7 machine.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                  Matthew D.

Hi,

did you try to put trace on database to see what's going on?

Regards

• 6. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                    CraigB

MPL wrote:...

The important thing to remember is that the exact same forms install (on a network drive) does not have this problem if run from a shortcut on an XP machine.  It only happens if run from a shortcut on a Win 7 machine...

So you run the Forms Builder from a remote\network drive?  If I remember correctly, Oracle does not support this any longer (ended with Forms 6i as I recall).  This will be tricky to resolved...

I'm pretty sure Forms 10g R1 is not even available for download from My Oracle Support, but I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I checked.  I would recommend you install the software on your local HDD, but if you don't have access to the software in your company, you may not be able to get it.

One thing I would recommend is to run SQLPlus as an administrator (right-click - compatibilty - run as Administrator).  All Oracle products must run with Administrator priv's.  If you are able to connect via SQLPlus this way, then do the same thing with Forms Builder.  If you still get the error - I recommend you try and find the installer for Forms 10g R1 and install the software to your workstation not the network.  The installation will be tricky because it is not designed for Windows 7 so you'll need to make sure you prepare your system (set VM, install as Admin, Set compatibility to Windows XP) before you do the installation or you will get errors.  There are serveral threads in the forum that describes installing Forms 10g on Win7.

Craig...

• 7. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                      MPL

Thanks, I'm trying that now and hope to see something obvious.

• 8. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                        MPL

Database level tracing doesn't work because I can't connect.  I turned on tracing in the sqlnet.ora file and did get a trace file with an error when I tried to connect using Win 7.  I'm not sure how to determine what this error means:

nioqrc:  Recieve: returning error: 3111

I also have a good trace file (from trying to connect via my XP machine) and it does not have this line.  Does anyone knwo how to diagnose the cause of this error?

Meredith

• 9. Re: Forms 10g on Windows 7: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
                          MPL

Updated info: I ran a more detailed trace and found that there is an 'AUTH_ALTER_SESSION' line in the trace file for Win7, but nothing follows it.  The trace file for Windows XP has actual parameter settings following it, e.g. 'AUTH_ALTER_SESSION @ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE = 'AMERICAN' etc.'.

I think this explains my 'invalid value for Alter Session' error, but I don't know how to fix it.  I've been combing through the XP and Win7 registries to try to find and resolve differences, but have not been able to figure it out yet.

I have also posted this in the General discussion forum now that I realize it doesn't really have to do with Forms.

Meredith