length in bytes?

I am not sure, what to set!

Can someone help?

Rgds

Aqua

• 1. Re: Definition of Data Types for Oracle 12
          rp0428

Sorry - your question isn't clear.

Provide more detail about ALL of the steps you are doing and what 'length in bytes' you are trying to set.

Always provide your full sql developer version and the platform name and version you are on.

• 2. Re: Definition of Data Types for Oracle 12
            user6983728

I have imported a DDL script into SQL Developer 3.1 on Windows 7!

It is part of the process of migrating the database from DB2 to Oracle 12c.

In SQL Developer 3.1 I am tweaking the  columns,data types, default values, & length.

• 3. Re: Definition of Data Types for Oracle 12
              rp0428

Ok - but you still haven't SHOWN us what you are doing and what DDL or 'table - edit' window you are doing it with.

We can't help you if we can't try to reproduce the steps you are doing.

Provide more detail about ALL of the steps you are doing and what 'length in bytes' you are trying to set.
              • 4. Re: Definition of Data Types for Oracle 12
                user6983728

have not shown = Do you want screenshots?

The DDL script is generated using InfoSphere 7.6.0 and I imported it into SQL 3.1. Using Query Builder (is this the window you are referring to?).

I tried to run it.  And also I am adjusting the data types by right clicking on the table and selecting edit.

It seems SQL Developer does not accept a maximum length permissible in Oracle 12c. I am upgrading to Release 3.2.

• 5. Re: Definition of Data Types for Oracle 12
                  rp0428

The DDL script is generated using InfoSphere 7.6.0 and I imported it into SQL 3.1.

What DDL script? What DDL is in it? We can NOT see your script, what it contains or what was 'imported'.

Using Query Builder (is this the window you are referring to?). 

How is Query Builder involved? You said your problem was

Defining Column Properties!

e.g.  ~"ColumnName" CHAR(1) Default ' '

length in bytes?

I am not sure, what to set!

What does that have to do with Query Builder?

I tried to run it.

Again TRIED TO RUN WHAT? We can NOT see 'it', we do NOT know what 'it' is.

Post whatever it is you are trying to run so we can see it?

But again, what does that have to do with 'defining Column Properties'?

And also I am adjusting the data types by right clicking on the table and selecting edit.Ok - so now we are back to column properties.

I select a table and 'edit' and can set a length of 1 and a default value of ' ' just fine on a table.

It seems SQL Developer does not accept a maximum length permissible in Oracle 12c. I am upgrading to Release 3.2.

AGAIN - What 'maximum length permissible' are you talking about?

Why can't you understand that WE CAN NOT SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Post the details about what table you are trying to change, what the datatype is, what length you are trying to set and so on.

The 'maximum length permissible' depends on the datatype. And if you are referring to using VARCHAR2 values larger than 4000 you also have to set an initialization parameter.

Until you post information with the actual values you are trying to use I, for one, can't help you.