7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 11:58 PM by handat RSS

differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD

user1175091

Hi All,

Presently I have requirement to migrate a ADAM + OVD+ OIM 9 environment to  ADAM + latest OVD + OIM 11g environment. Before the project statrup I was trying to donwload and configure the OVD + ADAM on my Windows 2008 virtual machine. But notied that OVD is not a individual component rather its bundle with Oracle identity management 11g. Same time also seen the latest release 11g R2 11.1.2.x version not having OVD, instead its providing OUD (storage, proxy, and virtual).

Sorry am not very clear about OUD, can it replace OVD ? or its give better features(virtual) when working with OVD ?

For installing OVD on Windows 2008 environment, what are the required/dependent softwares ? Can i download and install it as a individual component?

Many thanks,

• 1. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
          handat

OVD comes as part of Oracle IDM package which contains OID, OVD, OIF, ODIP, OHS which is quite a big download.

OVD itself is only a very small component but you need to downoad the whole package nevertheless.

When you install, it unzips and extracts everything! You can choose to only configure OVD, but you will end up with all the binaries exploded anyway.

You can either just installl OVD without an admin console and do the config by hand/command line, or install the OVD admin console ODSM which will require you to install weblogic as well which is a separate download and install and needs to be done as a prerequisite. And of course you will need to have a JDK installed before that.

OUD IMHO is a much better solution than what OID+OVD had delivered in the past. It is much faster and more lightweight (the zip file is smaller) and there are less dependencies and it also performs better.

• 2. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
            Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle

I agree with what handat said about OUD vs OVD.

I would add that It might be good to list what OVD features you are really using to figure out whether OUD can replace OVD. OUD already provides storage and proxy services + a significant number of virtualization functions. However, some virtualization function provided w OVD are not yet available on the current OUD release.

-Sylvain

• 3. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD

Hi All

Can you explain the difference between OUD,OVD,OID in two lines?

• 4. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
                Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle

Let's try to make it short:

Both OUD and OID are Directory Servers. They provide LDAP storage services. OUD stores entries using its own embedded Berkeley DB database engine. OID relies on an external Oracle DB to store entries and can be seen as an LDAP frontend to the Oracle DB.

OVD is a Virtual Directory. It does not provide (or has very limited) storage capabilities. It is deployed as a "proxy" between the LDAP client and other products with storage capabilities e.g OUD, OID or Oracle DB and can adapt LDAP content on the fly, e.g rename attribute, aggregate entries from several sources etc.

Important note: OUD can be deployed as a LDAP proxy and provide virtual directory capabilities as well.

Sylvain

------

When closing a thread as answered remember to mark the correct and helpful posts to make it easier for others to find them

• 5. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
                  user1175091

Hii All,

Many thanks to your valuable points. In my environment OVD doing minimal activities. It is connected with ADAM and becoming LDAP source for Oracle IDM. We are going with ADAM and + OVD (new release)only.

Could you guide me installation steps, so far I have performed below tasks.

1  Configured windows 2008 R2 OS on my virtual machine

2  Downloaded and installed the " Oracle identity management 11.1.1.7.0 "

3  Tried to run the configuration wizard for installing OVD, its partially done. Its showed in the window like

Create Virtual directory      status - done

Start oracle virtual directory    status- failed    ( log below )

oracle.as.provisioning.util.ConfigException:

Error creating ASComponent ovd1.

Cause:

An internal operation has failed: Failed to start the component

Action:

######

1) Could you advice, have noticed that a patch "Identity Management (11.1.1.5.0) Patch Set" applying on top of the "Oracle identity management" installation. Do I need to perfrom the same here?

2) What about the JRE version on my VM windows machine ?

#######

I was following the installation guide, but informations are shared on different lcoations. Can someone guide me on step by step/high level steps for installing OVD, also OID.

Many thanks.

• 6. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
                    user13056005

Hi Sylvain,

Can we please focus a bit on the differences between OVD and OUD on the virtualization field? The missing capabilities you are referring to are about:

1. the number and type of ready to deploy plugins that are made available by OUD
                    2. the completeness (and openness)  of OUD virtualazation API, ie there are missing calls that should be there in order to manipulate the inbound and outbound traffic such as the search operations and the results from them
                    3. the number and type of available source connectors ie there are no database connectors

Thanks

Nikos

• 7. Re: differentiate OUD, install and configure OVD
                      handat

There are two possible things that could had caused your error:

1. out of memory. Check the installation logs. The instance creation requires a bit of memory and can fail if it runs out during that those steps. The way instances are created and restarted isn't very efficient and can lead to problems. Also don't assume that if you have sufficient memory available, that the JVM is actually allocated the correct/required  amount.

2. DNS is not set correctly. Your host name alone is not sufficient. The installer will require a FQDN to be resolvable.

Since you are using 11.1.1.7.0, ignore the patching for 11.1.1.5.0 since that is for patching 11.1.1.3.0 to 11.1.1.5.0.

Also, contrary to what the support matrix says, use JDK 1.6.x instead of 1.7.x.

1.6.x will work, whereas 1.7.x is more like hit and miss. The problem is that 1.6 is out of support unless you pay for the extended support, whereas 1.7 is the latest and greatest, but unfortunately, a lot of Oracle products don't work with latest and greatest yet.

Also, be careful if you have multiple JDKs. The installer tends to pick the wrong one, especially if you have both 64bit and 32bit versions installed.