8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 4:11 PM by Roadling

Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?

SM_Work

Our college aides have created a nice little APEX application, and we developers ... who can _see_ it, we like it.

Now we want our users to see it too. The views under the APEX pages all have public synonyms and public select grants, and are perfectly accessible via SQL Plus as a view-only user, in the normal database way.

-- the developers go to the link below and see a field for a username, and a login button, the login page and subsequent home and report pages run as desired.

-- the users (let's say "MAYEVTU" a test user ID, with read-only privileges) get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message INSTEAD OF any login page (so cannot see rest of application).

-- the developer IDs were created by the APEX administrators (the users' IDs are created by a user admin).

-- the user IDs do not exist within the APEX workspace, because the authentication is set to "database" (I don't want to be creating 600+ users inside of an APEX workspace!!).

So ... how do I get MAYEVTU to see that login page?

The database where APEX is running is Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit.

APEX is 4.2.1.00.08 set up within that, configured with Glassfish on an Apache server.

The connection / website string is ...

http://nyct2bwyugosap1:8080/apex/f?p=102:LOGIN_DESKTOP:5771254488783:::::

... and alas, we are using IE: IE7, IE8 (and IE6 doesn't work at all)

Clues as to what settings I should be looking at would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Suzanne

• 1. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
          SM_Work

Additional Info: If I remove the number in the login page string ...

Instead of ...

... I put ...

http://nyct2bwyugosap1:8080/apex/f?p=102:LOGIN_DESKTOP::::::

... it allows the user to _see_ the login screen, but user cannot log in.

(as either the regular low-level user _or_ as a high-level user)

... the attempt just returns the user to the login screen.

Is there a particular colon setting I should be using?

Thanks for anyone's time and help.

-- SM

• 2. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
            AndyH

SM_Work wrote:

... I put ...

http://nyct2bwyugosap1:8080/apex/f?p=102:LOGIN_DESKTOP::::::

... it allows the user to _see_ the login screen, but user cannot log in.

(as either the regular low-level user _or_ as a high-level user)

The second URL is the one that should be used - the first one includes the session id which will not be for correct users other than the one that originally created the user. That said, APEX will detect when it's been given an invalid session id and should send you back to your login page.

It sounds like you have a couple of issues:

- does you application know where your login page is? The failure to deal with the session id suggests not. The Edit Application Attributes/Security should have the Login URL set to something like 'f?p=&APP_ID.:101:' i.e. page 101 is your login page;

- Did your user get an 'Invalid Credentials' message having attempted to login? If not, then it suggests that your login page/authorization doesn't know where to send users that have logged in successfully. The login page probably has a 'Login' page process: if you have a 'custom' authentication scheme it calls std_login then there is a parameter where you can set the URL that successful logins go to, if it's using  s standard one then I *think* that it goes to the Home URL in Edit Application Attributes/Security?

Recheck the setup for your authentication scheme and login page (make sure it's publicly accessible!).

--

Andy

• 3. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
              b55d889f-16af-4b5d-863c-d9f098c77e05

Hello,

I am the College Aide working with Suzanne.

I checked the Application Security under 'Edit Application Attributes/Security' and found that there is nothing preventing the user from logging in and that it is publicly accessible.

I also checked that the login and home page were corrected according to the login and home page urls.

When we tested with this url : http://nyct2bwyugosap1:8080/apex/f?p=102:0:0:::::

we tried logging into a user, but it would just reload the login page like it did previous to the changes we made.

Is there anything else that may be preventing the user from logging in?

Thank you!

• 4. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
                SM_Work

AndyH and Karim ... I have found more peculiarities. The problem is, I think, some setting in IE7 ... here are new details: some background as to how the users can currently approach this application, and some very odd results, including, _NOW_ our test user _CAN_ run it (and we've done nothing else inside APEX), which is why I suspect there's a screw loose in IE (and, yes, I know there are other browsers).

More background ... here's our hosting environ:

We have Oracle Forms/Reports 6i running on a terminal server (named ORDB, Wink2k8) which has IE7 installed.

The base form after user login has a menu option which calls a specific _WEBPAGE_ of details for our users.

Users get to this webpage, on ApacheOne, no problem.

On this webpage is the link to this particular APEX login page / test application.

(and, YES, we are migrating to a combo of Forms 11g and APEX, but not in 5mins, separate discussion).

I found ...

• (a) if I logged into the ORDB _desktop_ as our test user, ran the forms application from the server's desktop (which users are allowed to do), THEN I could access the APEX login page thru the application, and login and see what I was supposed to see.
                • (b) if I logged in as our MAYEVTU test user _directly_ into the Forms app (as most users do (users normally have no need to see the TS desktop (and this TS is dedicated to running our Forms app, so we can configure / reconfigure as needed))) ... if I do that ... then ... I could NOT get further than the login page....

but if ... I cut / pasted the login session from (a) ... into (b) ... THEN ...
                • (c) I _could_ login / see more than the login page in that same (b) Forms session.
                • (d) if I logged out of the (b) session ... made sure it was all closed ... and then logged back in the same way ...
                  I _could_still_run_ the APEX page / login / see what I was supposed to see ... just as if (b) had never happened.

All of this tells me that some particular setting ... whether in IE / server login / APEX setting / cache ... _SOMETHING_ ... got jiggled / reset by doing that cut / paste. Such that now it is happy.

The question, of course, will be ... what setting?

We have other Term Servers available to us ... I am going to try to replicate the scenario on several of these, to see if there's anything obvious.

All clues welcome!

Kind regards,

Suzanne

• 5. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
                  AndyH

> we tried logging into a user, but it would just reload the login page like it did previous to the changes we made.

Did you get any errors e.g. "Invalid Credentials"?

If not, then it sounds like you're logged in but your login process doesn't know which page to send you to.

You say that a 'developer' can log into the application - presumably using the same database authentication mechanism that is being used for all other users or do you have a custom mechanism that 'detects' developers and authenticates them in a different manner?

• 6. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
                    AndyH

I have no idea what additional 'features' a Terminal Server might bring to all of this - sorry! APEX uses a cookie to track the session within the browser - the same browser cannot 'usefully' run the same APEX application multiple times concurrently as each page will overwrite the cookie and may make the other windows act up. Perhaps TS is sharing the cookies forever and it's the first user on the system that wins the day!

• 7. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
                      SM_Work

It seems to relate to cookies ... but ... each user has their own when they log in.

We found ... if user logged into regular Oracle forms app on the TS ... and then we have a link out to a webpage, if they cut / paste THAT from the TS ... to their _local_ browser ... THEN (so far) it seems to work, and ... once the user has logged in _locally_ ... and then cut/paste THAT local link back to the TS browser session ... THEN the TS session starts to work too. All in all, it's a _Very_ dicey thing to check / verify / cut / paste between.

Will post more when I know more / have an actual solution.

Kind regards,

SM

• 8. Re: Only Developers see App login page ... how to let DB users see it too?
                        Roadling

A couple questions...

what happens if you  just try the URL http://nyct2bwyugosap1:8080/apex/f?p=102 and let APEX figure out what UI to use?

what application theme are you using?

did you change your login page to a different page number than the APEX default login page number?

Based on the port reference it looks like you are hitting Glassfish directly and not going through Apache with AJP or other proxy method correct?

Regards,

Brad