13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 1:09 PM by rukbat RSS

Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.

3a5b7288-65c3-47d5-a877-a084ff07536f

Is this were I can post code and have someone critique it and give me some pointers. Really struggling with this stuff and would like to get some help from a SME or someone that knows more about Java then I do.

• 1. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
          jwenting

No. It's where you can come if you have a specific question about the Java language and want clarification.

We're not a free code review service (though posting code you have such a specific question about is a very good idea as it makes answering that question almost certainly easier and thus more likely to happen).

• 2. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
            wizzle2

jwenting wrote:

No. It's where you can come if you have a specific question about the Java language and want clarification

Is this the official Oracle policy for this forum?

• 3. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
              PhHein

5c167602-bb9a-428f-869f-f97755705c98 wrote:

jwenting wrote:

No. It's where you can come if you have a specific question about the Java language and want clarification

Of course it is not. You can post code for review, but you might get replies that you won't like.

• 4. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                gimbal2

You'll have more luck here:

Code Review Stack Exchange

In generic forums you'll more often find people who answer questions or help with problems during quiet moments / breaks at work; doing a full code review is not often in someone's time frame, nor is writing up complete example code or trying to explain difficult material that is covered in entire books.

• 5. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                  jwenting

jwenting wrote:

Oracle tends to be more accepting of people asking for homework to be done for them than the community...

Full code reviews? We tend to get paid for doing those. We come here to get help and help others in return with detail problems, not with major chunks of project implementations.

Hence, a few lines you have a questions about? No problem.

Dump 100+ lines and just ask "what's wrong with this" or "how could I improve this"? Not going to make you friends.

• 6. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                    wizzle2

PhHein wrote:

jwenting wrote:

Of course it is not. You can post code for review, but you might get replies that you won't like.

But people who ask legitimate questions of any kind may also get replies they like, don't they?

And specifically, since this is a New To Java discussion forum that should also include "I'm lost please help" kind of questions, doesn't it?

• 7. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                      gimbal2

No, "I'm lost please help" questions are NEVER acceptable. You got yourself in that state, you have to get yourself out of it. You might ask some -specific- questions so that others might assist you get out of it.

"I'm lost" equals "I give up" in this context, and that's just utterly unacceptable and detrimental to getting assistance. You have to keep ownership of your own problems if you want to be able to get assistance in solving them.

• 8. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                        jwenting

PhHein wrote:

jwenting wrote:

But people who ask legitimate questions of any kind may also get replies they like, don't they?

And specifically, since this is a New To Java discussion forum that should also include "I'm lost please help" kind of questions, doesn't it?

yes, of course. But consider that just because you think it's a legitimate question, someone else won't think it doesn't deserve to be answered, even considers it rude to ask questions in that way.

And dumping your code with a "tell me how to make this better" (without even a "please" or an explanation as to what the poster thinks is not good enough) under it will fall under the latter category, yet is precisely what most "code review requests" on public forums amount to.

• 9. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                          wizzle2

jwenting wrote:

jwenting wrote:

Full code reviews? We tend to get paid for doing those. We come here to get help and help others in return with detail problems, not with major chunks of project implementations.

Well, If I get the Oracle policy correctly any legitimate Java question is wellcome here. And anybody who feels like it is free to provide replies to their liking as long as they abide with the code of conduct, right.

So, why not just exercise your right to refrain from replying rather than discouraging people from asking fully legitimate questions just because they don't suit you personally? Others may want to reply to those questions (even if they don't get paid).

• 10. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                            jwenting

you apparently have more need of being shown what's generally accepted behaviour on public forums than I thought.

It's not up to you to dictate that "only people who agree with me are allowed to post here" for example.

Take the words of others to heart, not just here but pretty much everywhere you go you'll find that just dumping your homework assignment on a group of people and telling them to do your work for you is not going to fly.

And that's essentially what you're wanting to do, dump a load of work on people volunteering their time here in order to help people.

Yes, questions are welcome here. Telling people to wade through hundreds of lines of code you wrote (or more likely pulled from some blog or sample without understanding what it does) and asking them "what's wrong with this" or "how does this work" is NOT going to make you friends.

And no, none of the regulars here are going to reply to such questions with anything approaching the type of response you would like, rather they'll get rather hostile.

• 11. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                              wizzle2

jwenting wrote:

Yes, questions are welcome here.

That's right and it's not up to you to qualify that statement further. Unless you're a representative of Oracle of course which I doubt.

Bye.

• 12. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.
                                wizzle2

gimbal2 wrote:

No, "I'm lost please help" questions are NEVER acceptable.

I said "I'm lost please help" kind of questions.

It's when you're so new to something you don't even know what to ask for. The OP puts it well: "Really struggling with this stuff".

Many newbie questions fall into this category. Are these early stage Java programmers not wellcome here? And if not, is this an Oracle policy or just you don't feel like helping?

• 13. Re: Trying to learn how to code and taking college classes.

Moderator Action:

This thread has devolved into something that is non-productive, other than trolling replies to the community.

The original poster has apparently abandoned it immediately after creating their initial question and as of this date has not posted anything else.  Period.

The thread is locked