7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2014 1:21 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Restoring windows bug 4.0.1

xxsawer

Hi guys,

I have found another bug. I just wanted to launch the Developer and it gots frozen on the splash screen - progress bar stopped on "Restoring Windows". So I am not even able to start Developer.

Last time I have ended the developer normally without any obvious error...

• 1. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
          Some Yahoo

In my case if I wait it out it eventually returns - after something on the order of 15 minutes.  I just get "Restoring Windows" for that whole time.  Also it might be useful to note that I always close all my open windws when I close down Oracle SQL Developer.

This is truly annoying and severely impacts my ability to perform my job.

• 2. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
            xxsawer

Hi,

good to know that I am not only who is having this problem. I didn't have patience to wait for 15mins, so I killed developer after about 3 mins from task manager and then rolled back to 3.2.

With the state of SQL Developer development, I don't believe they will fix this...

• 3. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

And what state would that be?

We can't fix bugs based on anecdotal evidence. You need to capture jstack dumps from when the application hangs, submit SRs to MOS, or at least attach them to your posts here. We've already had 2 maintenance releases for v4.0. We're committed to fixing bugs.

• 4. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
                xxsawer

@Jeff

The state is complete disaster.

1) I don't see any sticky note in this forum with some tutorial how exactly post bugs. I think it is your job to write such tutorial, or? I personally have no idea what SR or MOS means and will not invest a second of my time to find out...

2) In normal situation, every bug posted here would trigger somebody on your side for investigation or for request of additional details. Here it is standard to call bugs "new functionality" or offer workaround instead of fixing them.

3) e.g. here

Missing information on status line - 4.0.1.14

I you told me, to use Oracle Support to log some particular bug. In other words, I need to have payed account to log your bugs???

4) Your maintenance releases even didn't fix bugs you have created in main release 4. Not mentioning dozens of old bugs...

• 5. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
                  Jim Smith

xxsawer wrote:

@Jeff

The state is complete disaster.

1) I don't see any sticky note in this forum with some tutorial how exactly post bugs. I think it is your job to write such tutorial, or? I personally have no idea what SR or MOS means and will not invest a second of my time to find out...

Yet you are willing to spend many seconds with pointless whinges here.    Saying, "I've found a bug. Fix it!" is not helpful to anyone, but this seems to be your standard approach.

An oracle user who doesn't know what SR or MOS means really hasn't been paying attention.

2) In normal situation, every bug posted here would trigger somebody on your side for investigation or for request of additional details.

And that is the response most people get.  I suspect you haven't had an immediate response because of your general attitude.

It has been frequently stated that this isn't the official support route for SQL Developer and responses are on a best endeavours basis.

I you told me, to use Oracle Support to log some particular bug. In other words, I need to have payed account to log your bugs???

SQL Developer support is free if you have database support.  Don't you or your organisation have support for your databases?

• 6. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
                    xxsawer

1) I have spent planty of times to exactly describe couple of bugs which were later never fixed or labeled as "new functionality". Now you have the opportunity to put here a link with a thread where it is exactly step by step explained how a bug should be reported.

2) I do not expect immediate response! I expect that somebody will check it and if it is really reproducible bug, somebody will fix it. By fixing it I mean not creating another three new bugs. Expressed mathematically if n is number of bugs, after intervention on your side it should be n = n - 1 not n = n - 1 + 3 (which is usual case here)

3) My company is not involved in case of SQL Developer and I do not want to use company access to report Developer bugs. Please tell my how ordinary users without any organisation behind (meaning without payed account) can log bugs?

• 7. Re: Restoring windows bug 4.0.1
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Your expectations are way off.

This is a community.

It's not a support mechanism.

My Oracle Support - you file Support Requests there. They log bugs they get fixed.

This is a place to talk with other users. As a bonus, several members of the development and QA team like to hang out here and help. It's not part of their job description. They do it, because they care.

If you don't pay for support, you simply CANNOT log bugs.

However, if someone in here posts a very well documented issue, we can and often will logs those for you. But there's no expectation that that would or should happen.