5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 2:16 PM by athompson88 RSS

Oracle ASM on Windows

athompson88

I think I may need some help getting the storage for my ASM right. I changed companies recently and the new place is a Windows house so the Oracle databases are all on 2008 R2 machines. I have run Oracle RAC on both physical and virtual before, but only in Linux/Unix environments (which so far I still prefer) so I'm still learning some of the ins and outs. This company is also looking at moving to RAC, so ASM is in the mix. To begin my testing, I have set up an ASM instance for a single host which will eventually become a development hub holding several databases. However, even before I've set up any databases, the host is locking up. I suspect it has something to do with the disk configuration in that while the lock ups have occurred while the vm is idling, several lock-ups have happened when I try to drop a disk from within the asmca utility. I followed the documentation that Oracle provided for Windows platforms, but this documentation of course does not offer insight into storage virtualization on vmware.

Here is my configuration:

VMware: vSphere 5.5

Memory: 12G

Storage: OS: 60G; ASM: 20G, 5G, 5G

Oracle Grid: 11.2.0.4 (plus January 2014 CPU)

Oracle Database: 11.2.0.4 (plus January 2014 CPU)

Other details (maybe important, maybe not):

1) I have a large pages enabled

2) Disks are thin-provisioned. As a side-note, I've always thick-provisioned my ASM disks, but our Sr. IT admin has made a policy that all disks are to be thin-provisioned for efficiency. I'm not sure if this could cause an issue.

3) The 3 ASM disks are running using the Paravirtualized SCSI driver

4) The host also has an OEM 12c Agent installed and running.

I'm new to the Windows platform when it comes to Oracle (I've administered plenty of SQL Server DBs), but the lockups don't appear to be generating any kind of data to any logs.

• 1. Re: Oracle ASM on Windows
          teits

what do you mean by " However, even before I've set up any databases, the host is locking up".

No logs???

• 2. Re: Oracle ASM on Windows
            athompson88

I'll elaborate a bit more. The host is "locked up" in that you can ping it, but if you try to log in by RDP or through the vmware console, it doesn't generate your desktop. Also, whatever is happening on the server is keeping the agent, listener, etc, from reporting to OEM. Lastly, if an RDP session is open, then you'll get the "disconnected from session... attempting to reconnect... " message. The only way to get it out of this state is to tell the hypervisor to reset the system.

Now, as for logs, there is nothing in the asm alert log. The most recent trace file generated is from an rbal event around the time of the lockup, but there aren't any similar traces during the others.

I've checked the windows event logs for errors as well. In the application event log, there was an agent fault during the most recent lock up, but there wasn't one for the previous occurrences. I'm thinking it's more effect, than cause. Nothing listed in the server logs. I have asked the sysadmins to look at the vmware logs, but they're a little challenged in that area and I'm finding I need to provide guidance on issues.

• 3. Re: Oracle ASM on Windows
              athompson88

Found the issue a couple weeks back and figured I'd post it here. Turned out it was ESET NOD32 anti-virus. Unless the software is completely deactivated, the system will become unresponsive eventually. I'm still waiting on full analysis from ESET (I sent them a bunch of interal logs and a Windows memory dump). If they come up with anything, I'll post it here.

• 4. Re: Oracle ASM on Windows
                Catch_22

Why do companies even bother to run Oracle database under MS Windows? And if MS Windows is an absolut must regardless (stupid), why not use MS SQL?

• 5. Re: Oracle ASM on Windows
                  athompson88

Just for anyone who comes across this forum post, an update to the ESET software kept it from interfering with ASM, so I'm back in business. In answer to the previous poster, I'm the first full-time, in-house DBA they've hired, and what I've got to work with is whatever the parade of consultants set up over the last few years. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got. It's a bit of a mess overall, to say the least, but I'm slowly getting it ironed out. Linux is in the cards, but not in this round of changes.