1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 9:34 AM by user12273962 RSS

Bare metal OVS server

Hello.,

We got two OVS 3.2.1 server [each containing 256G RAM, 32CPU, 3.4TB - bare metal storage - /dev/sdb1 and ocfs2 enabled], i want to create VM on these two OVS boxes, We installed Oracle Virtual Manager 3.2.2 on seperate box and was able to discover these two OVS servers. Can any one please provide instruction on how to discover the 2x3.4TB storage into OVM so that we can create repositories and create VM.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Bare metal OVS server
          budachst

First of all, OVMM only discovers blank disks or LUNs. There must be nothing present on those devices, no partition, no OCFS2 volume. Secondly, if you're planning to use the clustered features, e.g. failover of VMs, then you'd need some shared storage as well.

• 2. Re: Bare metal OVS server

Yes, /dev/sdb1 [3.4TB] is empty, /OVS/Repository/<ID>/<Subfolders> are also empty. No LUNS registered [no result when "multipath -ll" executed].' Not using Clustered features too.Please advice.

• 3. Re: Bare metal OVS server
              budachst

/dev/sdb1 indicates a partition on /dev/sdb. As I stated, this will not work. OVMM, or the ovs-agent resp., will only elect raw devices for OVM storage.

Also, the devices need to show up under /dev/mapper, afaik.

Can you please provide the output of df -h and ls -l /dev/mapper

As far as the clustered/shared storage goes: dou you intend to make use of OVM's HA features? If yes, you will need some kind of shared storage. This can be anything from a iSCSI, FC to NFS. What matters is, that both of your OVMS need tobe able to access that storage simultaneously.

• 4. Re: Bare metal OVS server

We dont need HA features, we are using simple and small environment. We dont have iSCSI/FC, I need to use local storage that was alloted on OVS for virtualization purpose. If this doesnt work, should we revert back to OVS 2.x ?

Here it goes :

df -h result :

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2              48G  2.1G   43G   5% /

/dev/sda1             190M   28M  153M  16% /boot

tmpfs                 2.7G     0  2.7G   0% /dev/shm

/dev/mapper/DomUVol-ovmrepo1

3.4T   11G  3.4T   1% /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790

none                  2.7G   48K  2.7G   1% /var/lib/xenstored

================================================

ls -l /dev/mapper/

total 0

crw------- 1 root root  10, 236 Apr 15 23:16 control

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 252,   0 Apr 15 23:17 DomUVol-ovmrepo1

• 5. Re: Bare metal OVS server
                  budachst

How did the repo got there? Usually, this is performed through OVM Manager. You rarely need to mess around on the OVM servers themselves.

• 6. Re: Bare metal OVS server

It was already there when OVS 3.2.1 was installed. I did not mess around on the OVS servers. Only thing I did was able to discover the nodes into server pool [unassigned servers].

• 7. Re: Bare metal OVS server
                      budachst

Can you check, if the 9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790 actually matches one of your existing repos in OVMM?

• 8. Re: Bare metal OVS server

I checked in OVMM, no storage is registered, this is first time we were trying to attempt to discover local storage [ previously, we had successful attempt to discover ZFS/SAN], this time, we are trying to discover local storage that comes with OVS. OVMM was installed in the seperate box.

• 9. Re: Bare metal OVS server
                          budachst

Then this must be some prior OCFS2. maybe from a test setup. Can you share the contents of /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf?

• 10. Re: Bare metal OVS server

Just checked and there's no sub folder - "ocfs2" under /etc.Should i create manually?

When i ran this

$  service ocfs2 status

Configured OCFS2 mountpoints:  /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790

Active OCFS2 mountpoints:  /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790

• 11. Re: Bare metal OVS server
                              budachst

No, the ovs-agent would do that for you, if needed. So, if there's no data on the OCFS2 volume, you could safely destroy it and rediscover the OVMS in OVMM. Don't forget to actually wipe the start of the disk using dd, to eliminate any trace of anything that has been there before. Please check also, if /dev/sdb hasn't been partitioned. It might also be, that someone used /deb/sdb1 as a pvdisk for LVM, which is not supported as an underlying block device for OCFS2.

• 12. Re: Bare metal OVS server

Okay.

I see this /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790 is still empty, it is one LVM enabled [including one vgdisk and one pvdisk], just one /dev/sdb1 [underneath /dev/sdb and "EFI GPT"  FS type]. So, please confirm, if I can safely delete them using lvremove along with vgremove,pvremove, and re-discover OVS thru OVMM ? Otherwise please let me know the clear steps ?

• 13. Re: Bare metal OVS server
                                  budachst

I'd say, if there's nothing under /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790, then it's safe do remove all of that. Just perform an

umount /OVS/Repositories/9976C8FEE50C549969A4C88A147F17790

and afterwards a

service ocf2s stop

You should then check /etc/fstab, if there's any trace of this device to be mounted at boot, which you should also remove. Then you can get rid of the LVM entirely by just reverse the process of creating the lvm by removing the lv and then the vg and lastly the pv. Then you should wipe sdb to remove the partition traces.

• 14. Re: Bare metal OVS server

Okay thanks for the info, let me try and come back to you if i have any issues.

1 2 Previous Next