2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2014 12:31 AM by rp0428

How to Clone a user using SQL Developer?

sweetritz

I have been asked to clone a user in Oracle 10g using SQL Developer . I have tired searching in Google but could not fine the steps.

Anyone can help me doing the same? I need to clone the user and provide the necessary privileges.

• 1. Re: How to Clone a user using SQL Developer?
          CraigB

What is your SQL Developer version?  If you are using version 3 or greater, you can use the DBA Views to clone a user.  The DBA view is not displayed by default so you have to go to the View Menu and select DBA.  Then connect to your database using the DBA view connection.  Open the Security and Users node and find the user you want to create a clone of and right-click the user and select the "Create Like" option.

Hope this helps.

Craig...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Clone a user using SQL Developer?
            I have been asked to clone a user in Oracle 10g using SQL Developer . I have tired searching in Google but could not fine the steps.

Anyone can help me doing the same? I need to clone the user and provide the necessary privileges.

I suggest that after using the solution posted by the others you use this opportunity to bring up the subject of version control with your management.

DDL should be maintained in a version control system. Cloning a user should be as simple as:

1. check out the DDL for the user to be cloned

2. modify the user name to the new name

3. test the modified DDL on a dev/test system - fix any problems/issues

4. check in the new DDL for the new user

If all you do is use Sql Dev to clone the user the next developer is going to have the same questions and issues the next time and you STILL won't have a saved copy of that 'OFFICIAL' DDL.

1 person found this helpful