10 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 3:24 AM by Savi17 RSS

Remote access of indexes through workbench

Savi17

Hi All,

I need to access the indexes of remote machine through workbench. Is it possible to access one machine's indexes through the workbench of another machine by giving its IP address and port details? If so which is the file where these details should be given?

Is there any Oracle document available for the same?

Thanks,

Savi

• 1. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
          TimK

Forgive me for being dense, I don't understand your use case and for me understanding that will help in figuring out a solution.

Can you give a little more information on what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Also, what does "access one machine's indexes through the workbench of another machine" mean?  Can you elaborate on what sounds like a complex setup?

• 2. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
            Savi17

For eg, I can access the Indexes generated in another PC through endeca_jspref page by adding the PC's port details in windows firewall settings. And in browser, i can just mention the IP address and port no of that machine instead of "http://localhost:8006/endeca_jspref/ ". This gives me the indexes generated in the remote machine.

Similarly, I want to access the indexes generated through workbench. "http://localhost:8006/" takes me to my local workbench. I want to know is there any way so that I can access the Indexes of remote machine through workbench?

Thanks,

Savi

• 3. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
              TimK

Still not understanding what you are trying to accomplish.  When you say "access the Indexes of remove machine through workbench" - what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Just to set a baseline between us:

endeca_jspref - a reference application that allows us to run queries against an endeca index and see results. Suitable for devs wanting to validate pipeline configuration, analysts for validating rule setups, business users for validating UX, amongst other activities.

workbench - a business facing application that allows users to curate rules, thesaurus entries, keyword redirects, experience manager configurations.  It also has some more administrative functions such as being able to kick off baseline updates, configuration updates, and any other scripts you make available to Workbench. Up to 2.1.2 you logged into Workbench for a specific Application.  From 3.1.x onwards, you log into workbench and then choose the Application you are editing.  Depending on your version of Workbench, how you have setup app config, and if you are using the authoring/live model, saving certain items will cause those items to be saved directly into the mdex engines as configured.  For example saving a thesaurus entry may save directly into a Preview MDEX or an Authoring MDEX but not into a Live MDEX until a Promote or ConfigUpdate is run.

Within the workbench application (all versions), there are hooks so that you can create links to other areas - such as your own reference application or even to just endeca_jspref.  Some do this to facilitate ease of use for business users.  Perhaps this is the functionality you are looking for.

With that said, can you more definitive on what you mean by "access indexes through workbench"?

• 4. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                Savi17

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am trying to implement multi server environment. One server will be ITL server and the other one will be Tools server(workbench). I have modified Appconfig.xml file and LiveDgraphCluster.xml files to create another MDEX and Dgraph pointing to 2nd server.

But when I run baseline update my script fails with "SEVERE: Utility 'copy_index_to_host_LiveMDEXHostB_DgraphA2' failed" error. In my 2nd server, under "data/dgrapgh" folder DgraphA2 folder is created. but it is empty.

If I run runcommand.bat --print-status command, below is the status its showing.

AuthoringDgraph: Running

DgraphA1: Running

DgraphA2: NotRunning

LogServer: Running

WeeklyReportGenerator: NotRunning

DailyReportGenerator: NotRunning

DaySoFarReportGenerator: NotRunning

WeeklyHtmlReportGenerator: NotRunning

DailyHtmlReportGenerator: NotRunning

DaySoFarHtmlReportGenerator: NotRunning

Forge: NotRunning

PartialForge: NotRunning

Dgidx: NotRunning

Can you please tell me where am i going wrong?

• 5. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                  Savi17

Here DgrapghA2 is pointing to 2nd server.

Thanks,

Savi

• 6. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                    TimK

Lets see if I have this straight -

Server 1 -

Hosts PlatformServices as Central Server

Hosts ToolsAndFrameworks/Workbench application

Here is where you provisioned your application

Server 2 -

Hosts PlatformServices as Agent only

Hosts DgraphA1

Hosts DgraphA2

Can you post up your LiveDgraphCluster.xml and AuthoringDgraphCluster.xml for inspection? 

• 7. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                      Savi17

My Tools and Frameworks/workbench server is pointing to server 2.

Server1-

Hosts PlatformServices as Central Server

Have my Dev studio and indexes created in this server along with source data.

Server2-

Hosts DgrapghA2

here is the LiveDgraphCluster.xml and AuthoringDgraphCluster.xml content.

LiveDgraphCluster.xml:

<!--

# Live MDEX Hosts - The machines used to host all MDEX processes

# for the 'live environment' MDEX cluster.

-->

<host id="LiveMDEXHostA" hostName="D111" port="8888" />

<host id="LiveMDEXHostB" hostName="D512" port="8888" />

<!--

# Live Dgraph Cluster - The 'live environment' MDEX cluster.

-->

<dgraph-cluster id="LiveDgraphCluster" getDataInParallel="true" enabled="true" configSnapshotDir="./data/dgraphcluster/LiveDgraphCluster/config_snapshots">

<dgraph ref="DgraphA1" />

<dgraph ref="DgraphA2" />

</dgraph-cluster>

<dgraph-cluster id="LiveDgraphCluster_A" getDataInParallel="true" enabled="true" configSnapshotDir="./data/dgraphcluster/LiveDgraphCluster/config_snapshots">

<dgraph ref="DgraphA1" />

</dgraph-cluster>

<dgraph-cluster id="LiveDgraphCluster_B" getDataInParallel="true" enabled="true" configSnapshotDir="./data/dgraphcluster/LiveDgraphCluster/config_snapshots">

<dgraph ref="DgraphA2" />

</dgraph-cluster>

<!--

# Live Dgraph Process Definitions

-->

<dgraph id="DgraphA1" host-id="LiveMDEXHostA" port="15000">

<properties>

<property name="restartGroup" value="1" />

<property name="DgraphContentGroup" value="Live" />

</properties>

<log-dir>./logs/dgraphs/DgraphA1</log-dir>

<input-dir>./data/dgraphs/DgraphA1/dgraph_input</input-dir>

<update-dir>./data/dgraphs/DgraphA1/dgraph_input/updates</update-dir>

</dgraph>

<dgraph id="DgraphA2" host-id="LiveMDEXHostB" port="15000">

<properties>

<property name="restartGroup" value="2" />

<property name="DgraphContentGroup" value="Live" />

</properties>

<log-dir>./logs/dgraphs/DgraphA2</log-dir>

<input-dir>./data/dgraphs/DgraphA2/dgraph_input</input-dir>

<update-dir>./data/dgraphs/DgraphA2/dgraph_input/updates</update-dir>

</dgraph>

AuthoringDgraphCluster.xml

<!--

# Authoring MDEX Hosts - The machines used to host all MDEX processes

# for the 'authoring environment' MDEX cluster.

-->

<host id="AuthoringMDEXHost" hostName="D111" port="8888" />

<!--

# Authoring Dgraph Cluster - The 'authoring environment' MDEX cluster.

-->

<dgraph-cluster id="AuthoringDgraphCluster" getDataInParallel="true" enabled="true" configSnapshotDir="./data/dgraphcluster/AuthoringDgraphCluster/config_snapshots">

<dgraph ref="AuthoringDgraph" />

</dgraph-cluster>

<!--

# Authoring Dgraph Process Definitions

-->

<dgraph id="AuthoringDgraph" host-id="AuthoringMDEXHost" port="15002"

post-startup-script="AuthoringDgraphPostStartup">

<properties>

<property name="restartGroup" value="A" />

<property name="DgraphContentGroup" value="Authoring" />

</properties>

<log-dir>./logs/dgraphs/AuthoringDgraph</log-dir>

<input-dir>./data/dgraphs/AuthoringDgraph/dgraph_input</input-dir>

<update-dir>./data/dgraphs/AuthoringDgraph/dgraph_input/updates</update-dir>

</dgraph>

• 8. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                        Savi17

I have not modified anything in AuthoringDgraphCluster.xml file. also, I have modified WorkBenchConfig.xml file so that it points to 2nd server and below is the code:

WorkbenchConfig.xml

<!--

########################################################################

# WorkbenchManager - A component that interfaces with the legacy

# 'web studio' configuration repository. It is used primarily during

# data ingest to load post-forge dimensions into Workbench.

-->

<custom-component id="WorkbenchManager" host-id="ITLHost" class="com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.component.WorkbenchManagerComponent">

<properties>

<property name="workbenchHost" value="D512" />

<property name="workbenchPort" value="8006" />

</properties>

<directories>

<directory name="configDir">./config/pipeline</directory>

<directory name="workbenchTempDir">./data/workbench/temp</directory>

</directories>

</custom-component>

• 9. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                          TimK

Ok, I think I have seen this before - your setup above looks fine.

It could be the hostname information - your D111 box can see D512 just fine but D512 cannot see D511.  Thus the directories are created but later can't properly receive the index.  Can you check that D512 has host or dns setup so it can see back to D111?

• 10. Re: Remote access of indexes through workbench
                            Savi17

Thanks for the reply. I turned off the firewall in D512 machine and it worked.