6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 8:17 AM by Navin Kumar Ramaswamy RSS

Can we create .CSV files through documaker

user13484277

Hi,

Is it possible to create .csv files through documaker apart from pdf's

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
          User9976634-Oracle

Could you provide a little more description of where you want to generate this file? What data it would contain? And when you would expect it to be generated?

• 2. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
            user13484277

Hi,

I would like to create a pdf and a CSV file both will contain same data. However the pdf looks the csv should be the same. Can documaker generate csv in the first place.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
              User9976634-Oracle

With apologies, it is still unclear (to me) what you are asking.

It is possible to create files using DAL, but to offer more specific guidance requires a better understanding of what it is that you want.

A CSV is a Comma-Separate Value file. A PDF file is a printed document file containing formatted text content, graphics, lines, boxes, etc - in other words a fully-composed document.  I'm not exactly sure how a PDF and a CSV file could contain the same data.

Are you perhaps asking to get an index of the created PDF files written as a CSV file? Something that contains a row of key transaction data along with the file name of the generated PDF? Perhaps something akin to the batch (BCH) files that can be produced per transaction recipient?

Are you asking for an export file of all the field data that went into the creation of the document and included in the PDF? Normally a CSV has a header that describes the columns and then each row of data would be consistent with that header. Without knowing that every PDF file you create will have exactly the same number of fields defined, it is difficult to imagine that a single CSV file would be sufficient. And depending upon the number of fields and the size of the data assigned to each, this could be quite a long record per PDF in the resulting CSV file.

Or perhaps you had in mind to get a name / value pair written for each field with data written on separate lines? This would not a be a true CSV file, but could have the name and values separated by commas if that is what you require.

You have something specific in mind and yet, we are not in your mind.  We need more specific information on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

• 4. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
                user13484277

Yeah, what i mean is an excel file. It should look the same as the pdf with all the formatted text content, graphics, lines, boxes, etc -....a complete replica of the pdf document.

• 5. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
                  User9976634-Oracle

No. I don't know how you would replicate an entire PDF in a CSV file.

• 6. Re: Can we create .CSV files through documaker
                    Navin Kumar Ramaswamy

A CSV file can be considered as a text file. It can be opened with any text editor.

It cannot support any font, colors, graphics, lines, boxes,.... not even underlined text !