4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2014 1:07 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

redologs on ASM or RAID 10

Hi Experts,

I would like to know the best storage configuration for redologs. My OS is RHEL 6.3 and database release is 11.2.0.4 2-node RAC.

1. Is it good and recommended practice to place the redologs on ASM?

or

2. RAID 10 is the best for redologs in terms of performance?

Thanks, Suvesh

• 1. Re: redologs on ASM or RAID 10
          Catch-22

I think the quesion is not whether to use ASM or RAID, but why not to use both and thereby have the best possible failover options and performance. Keep in mind that ASM is not RAID and functions very differently. ASM, for instance, does not mirror physical devices and provides data redundancy based on disk failure groups and free space available. ASM provides more flexible storage options than RAID and allows to extend or reduce disk space online without having to rebuild your stroage devices. ASM furthermore uses a variable and optimzed striping policy for oracle database files based on templates.

• 2. Re: redologs on ASM or RAID 10

Thanks Dude!,

I am looking in terms of performance.

Any benefits of using raid 10 for ASM DG for redologs?

• 3. Re: redologs on ASM or RAID 10
              Catch-22

Performance generally depends on your configuration, for instance, how many devices are involved during a read and write operation.

Other factors that have a great influence are data caching. If your RAID 10 configuration provides better caching or striping performance than ASM, you could configure ASM disk groups with external redundancy comprising of devices using a hardware RAID solution for best performance. I would however not recommend or split a database between using ASM for some and a regular filesystem using a RAID configuration for other database files.

Performance depends on your hardware and setup, which is unknown and therefore your question cannot be answered. However, since ASM is the recommended solution anyway for all database files, I would consider RAID an optional solution that can add performance on top of your ASM configuration.

• 4. Re: redologs on ASM or RAID 10
                Levi Pereira

Endorsing...

Dude Wrote:

Performance depends on your hardware and setup, which is unknown and therefore your question cannot be answered. However, since ASM is the recommended solution anyway for all database files, I would consider RAID an optional solution that can add performance on top of your ASM configuration.